Geometry and long space travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the current status of Newton's theory of gravity compared to Einstein's and raises questions about its accuracy when plotting orbits in the solar system and when traveling millions of light years to another star. It also delves into the concept of geometry in the real universe, with one person understanding it as flat Euclidean space and the other understanding it as curved space-time. The use of light years as a unit of measurement is also mentioned.
chaszz
This is a followup to another thread I started, on the current status of Newton's theory of gravity as compared with Einstein's. I asked this further question there in the last reply I made, but nobody answered, so I started this thread to ask it here. Newton's theory as I said there is still accurate enough to plot orbits in the solar system, and is in fact used for this because GR is so complicated to use. I think that Newton uses the geometry of flat Euclidian space and GR uses a geometry that handles curved space-time.

1. Now if someone were plotting a course for a ship traveling millions, or hundreds of millions, of light years to another star, would Newton's theory be able to handle it accurately? Or would the use of GR be necessary?

2. What I'm really trying for here is to learn how geometry applies in the real universe. Let's modify the above so that the ship is heading from Earth to a planet millions of light years away which is somehow traveling exactly parallel to ours in every way (motion around its star, motion of its star in its galaxy, motion of its galaxy, etc.) so that it can be thought of as in our reference frame. Could a straight line be drawn (let's posit instantaneously) between Earth and that planet, or must that line necessarily be curved? Please indulge me here, because although a layman, I am really trying to conceive what geometries mean in the real universe. I am like the Flatlander in that Euclid's space seems natural and real to me. Curved space-time, although I understand its structure and implications, is a little in the realm of the fantastic for me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
chaszz said:
This is a followup to another thread I started, on the current status of Newton's theory of gravity as compared with Einstein's.

It's not Theory of Gravity, it's Universal Law of Gravitation.

light years are used to measure the distance light can travel in a year.
LIGHT is MASSLESS. you're SHIP (of course HAS mass) and only light can travel at 3x10^8 m/s. thus, you're example is not valid anymore.

the path to be taken by your SHIP, as you say, will be affected by the gravitational pull of other planets, stars blah blah.. it's for you to consider this or not to know whether you want it to follow only a straight path or the curve one. :)

Your path could curve because traveling that far could run you into a star.

1. What is the role of geometry in long space travel?

Geometry plays a crucial role in long space travel as it helps us understand the shape, size, and position of objects in space. It allows us to calculate distances, trajectories, and orbits, which are essential for successful navigation and planning of space missions.

2. How does relativity affect geometry in long space travel?

Einstein's theory of relativity states that the geometry of space and time is not fixed, but rather changes depending on the speed and gravitational field of an object. This means that the geometry of space in a spacecraft traveling at high speeds will be different from that on Earth, and we must take this into account when calculating trajectories and distances.

3. Can non-Euclidean geometry be applied to long space travel?

Yes, non-Euclidean geometry, which includes hyperbolic and elliptic geometry, can be applied to long space travel. These types of geometry allow for curved space, which is necessary to understand the effects of gravity on objects in space. In fact, Einstein's theory of relativity is based on non-Euclidean geometry.

4. How does the concept of parallel lines change in space?

In Euclidean geometry, parallel lines never meet. However, in non-Euclidean geometry, parallel lines can intersect at different points depending on the curvature of space. In space, the concept of parallel lines is not applicable as all objects are affected by gravitational forces, causing their trajectories to curve and potentially intersect.

5. How does geometry contribute to the design of spacecraft for long space travel?

Geometry is essential in the design of spacecraft for long space travel. Engineers use geometric principles to design the shape and size of the spacecraft, as well as to calculate the most efficient trajectory and orbit for the mission. It also helps in the development of navigation systems and instruments that rely on precise geometric calculations.