Horzontal Massive Pulley Problem with Friction

In summary, the question involves two masses, a pulley, and a string. By using equations such as F=μ*m*g, m2g-T2=m2a, α=τ/I, I=1/2mr2, and T2-T1=1/2mpa, the frictional force acting on the larger mass, linear acceleration of the blocks, tension of the string, angular acceleration of the pulley, and time and number of revolutions for a block to move 1m when released from rest can be calculated. The linear acceleration calculation involved incorporating friction into the equation, while for the angular acceleration
Kristenx2

Homework Statement

Consider 2 masses (m1=13kg, m2=26kg) connected by a string. The pulley is a uniform disc of radius R=0.05m and mass m=1kg. μ between the horizontal surface and the larger mass is 0.2.
Find Frictional force acting on larger mass.
Find the linear acceleration of the blocks.
Find tension of the string acting on both weights.
Calculate the angular acceleration of the pulley in rad/s2.
Calculate the time it will take block M to move 1m when released from rest.
Calculate the number of revolutions made by the pulley during the time period of the precious problem.

Homework Equations

F=μ*m*g
m2g-T2=m2a
α=τ/I
I=1/2mr2
T2-T1=1/2mpa
That's all I could really figure out to use. Would I also use m1g*μ-T1=m1a?

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the friction force fine, 51.012N.

I messed up the next part thinking the pulleys were massless. I did a=(m2g-μm1g)/(m1+m2 and got 1.962 m/s2. Naturally, for the tension part, I ended up with the same tensions of 102N. I know that's not right.

So I did T2-T1=1/2mpa and ended up with 1.94m/s2. That seems wrong as well, because my T1 ended up being 0.646N (mgμ-T=ma). It just seems really off and I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I am almost positive it has something to do with the way I am incorporating the friction, though.

This is what the diagram looks like:

O\_______|m1(26kg)|____
|//////////////////////////////////
|
|
|M2(13kg)|

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course you HAVE also to use T[itex]_{1}[/itex] - Frictional force = 26a.

Otherwise you would not have enough equations to solve for the all the unknown physical quantities that you have.

Hi, grzz. Sounds good. Does that mean when I go to find the linear acceleration I would use m2g-m2a-m1gμ-m1a = 1/2mpa?

Yes.

So my linear acceleration really is 1.92m/s2?
It just seems strange because when I plug that into (26)(9.81)(0.2)-T=(26)(1.92) I get an obviously ridiculous number, and for the other tension, (13)(9.81)-T=(13)(1.92) I get 102N.

Oh! I am doing it backwards. You said T-Fμ=26a, right? So I was actually wrong about (26)(9.81)(0.2)-T=(26)(1.92) and I will not get a low or negative number.

For the angular acceleration of the pulley {alpha} I did R2*T2-R1*T1=I{alpha} and got 105.2 where R=0.05m and I used 102 and 49.4 for my Ts, and 1.94m/s2 for my acceleration. However, when I use {alpha}=a/R, using the same values, I end up with 38.8rad/s2... Which one? ;c

My values are
T1 = 101.4N
T2 = 102.3N
a = 1.94m/s2

1. What is a horizontal massive pulley problem with friction?

A horizontal massive pulley problem with friction is a physics problem that involves a pulley system with a horizontal axis and a mass that is being pulled by a force. The presence of friction in the system adds an additional factor that needs to be considered in solving the problem.

2. How do you calculate the tension in the rope in a horizontal massive pulley problem with friction?

To calculate the tension in the rope, you need to use the formula T = (F - μmg)/(1 + (m/M)), where T is the tension, F is the applied force, μ is the coefficient of friction, m is the mass of the object being pulled, and M is the mass of the pulley. This formula takes into account the effects of friction on the system.

3. What is the difference between a frictionless and a frictional horizontal massive pulley problem?

A frictionless horizontal massive pulley problem does not take into account the effects of friction on the system, while a frictional horizontal massive pulley problem does. This means that the calculations and solutions for the two types of problems will be different, with the frictional problem being more complex.

4. How does the presence of friction affect the motion of the system in a horizontal massive pulley problem?

The presence of friction in a horizontal massive pulley problem can affect the motion of the system by decreasing the acceleration of the mass, as some of the applied force is used to overcome the force of friction. This can also result in a decrease in the tension in the rope and a longer time for the mass to reach its destination.

5. What are some real-world applications of a horizontal massive pulley problem with friction?

Horizontal massive pulley problems with friction have numerous real-world applications, such as in elevators, cranes, and conveyor belts. In these systems, friction plays a significant role in determining the efficiency and speed of the system, and understanding how to calculate and account for friction is crucial in their design and operation.