Is It Time to Create a Welcome Thread for New Forum Members?

• Thread starter DREAMWALKER
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around the suggestion of creating a "Welcome New Members" thread in the forum to make it more welcoming and attract more registered users. There were different opinions on whether or not this would be beneficial and how it would impact the forum's viability. Some suggested using psychological tricks to encourage registration, while others were against the idea of forcing people to register. Ultimately, the group agreed to stick with the current way of doing things and let people register at their own will.
DREAMWALKER
Gold Member
Greetings!

I may be completely wrong with this one, but from all the forums I have been on, there is a 'Welcome New Members' onboard kind of thread..

I didn't see one here. If it doesn't exist, perhaps a good time to make one now?

Mods and Admins, please accept my humble greetings. Took me a while to find this one, but better late than never I guess.

And to the rest of the members - Howdy! Please don't hesitate to ask if you need my help. Just PM me. I am a writer by profession, but will do my best to help you out in anything you think I am worthy of.

Have a great day! Cheers!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome DREAMWALKER! Thanks for the suggestion. We will take it under consideration :)

Oh awesome! Thanks so much!

Welcome to the forum!

Most people just post Introductions in the General Discussion forum.

Last edited:
Thanks Rocket50! I think I did that too. But a proper platform would help newbies like me.. :)

I think creating a "Welcome to the forums - Introduce yourself here" thread, as OP suggested, is a great idea. To me, it'll make PF seem more welcoming, which it could be, if you ask me.

DataGG said:
I think creating a "Welcome to the forums - Introduce yourself here" thread, as OP suggested, is a great idea. To me, it'll make PF seem more welcoming, which it could be, if you ask me.
Thank you DataGG. :)

Rocket50 said:
Most people just post Introductions in the General Discussion forum.

DREAMWALKER said:
Thanks Rocket50! I think I did that too.

Your posting history (click on your name at the left of one of your posts and you'll see a link to it) doesn't show anything in General Discussion yet. So you might as well go over there and then we can welcome you properly. :smile:

jtbell said:
So you might as well go over there and then we can welcome you properly. :smile:
BTW, a proper welcome requires a review your fish preferences.

I think PF should do something to make people login/register. For example, right now, there are 70 registered users and 3.4k guests.. That's way too little registered for the amount of guests, I think..

DataGG said:
I think PF should do something to make people login/register. For example, right now, there are 70 registered users and 3.4k guests.. That's way too little registered for the amount of guests, I think..

I'm sure you have something in mind about why encouraging registrations would be an improvement, but you didn't mention why...

If it's $$$ support, I don't know if that's significant in the business model. Does registering without contributing a donation avoid the advertisements? I recall reading a post from Greg after I joined, indicating that anyone who registered (no donation req'd) would receive extra benefits just like the members who contribute. (?)

I can't imagine that registrations contribute to the lion's share of PF's viability. It's most likely the business genius that Greg's brought to the table. I would like to believe that the advertisements that those 3.4k unregistered viewers are seeing, pay a pittance per "impression", meaning the ad doesn't need to be clicked - just appear on the page. And, if so, those pennies add up...

In most forums, the amount of guests online is much more than the amount of registered users online.

Rocket50 said:
In most forums, the amount of guests online is much more than the amount of registered users online.

Yes, and I find forums that hide content from non-registered guests or use other means to force people to register to be extremely annoying. I don't even bother going back to the forum if I can't see the content without registering and logging in.

Likes Borg and cristo
TumblingDice said:
I'm sure you have something in mind about why encouraging registrations would be an improvement, but you didn't mention why...

If it's $$$ support, I don't know if that's significant in the business model. Does registering without contributing a donation avoid the advertisements? I recall reading a post from Greg after I joined, indicating that anyone who registered (no donation req'd) would receive extra benefits just like the members who contribute. (?)

I can't imagine that registrations contribute to the lion's share of PF's viability. It's most likely the business genius that Greg's brought to the table. I would like to believe that the advertisements that those 3.4k unregistered viewers are seeing, pay a pittance per "impression", meaning the ad doesn't need to be clicked - just appear on the page. And, if so, those pennies add up...

I did not take into account the ad business at first. However, a forum is supposed to have people and the more the better. If you've more people logged in, you'll have more posts, which will attract more people, which you'll give you more ad revenue.

Rocket50 said:

Yes I know that. But is that much more? (70 online to 3.5k guests?)

Drakkith said:
Yes, and I find forums that hide content from non-registered guests or use other means to force people to register to be extremely annoying. I don't even bother going back to the forum if I can't see the content without registering and logging in.

I agree with you.. I did not mean to imply that PF should hide content. I'm 100% against such sites. But perhaps there are some psychological tricks that one can employ, in order to make more people interested in logging/registering. Maybe adding a paragraph for unregistered users to see, explaining the advantages of registering..(?) I don't know.

I see no reason to change our current way of doing things. People who want to post will register and do so. People who don't will not. What will making people register do to change that? I'd rather not have people who only registered because the were "tricked" or "encouraged" instead of simply wanting to join on their own.

Likes adjacent and TumblingDice

What is the purpose of the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum?

The "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum serves as a platform for new members to introduce themselves to the community and learn more about the forum's rules and guidelines.

How do I join the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum?

To join the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum, simply click on the "Join" button located on the forum's main page. You will then be prompted to create an account or sign in with your existing account.

What are some common topics discussed in the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum?

Some common topics discussed in the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum include introductions, forum rules and guidelines, and tips for navigating the forum.

Can I ask questions or seek advice in the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum?

While the main purpose of the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum is for introductions and learning about the forum, members are welcome to ask questions and seek advice from other members. However, it is recommended to post your questions in more relevant forums for a better response.

How can I make the most out of my experience in the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum?

To make the most out of your experience in the "Welcome New Members - Join Our Forum" forum, be sure to read the forum rules and guidelines, participate in discussions, and engage with other members in a respectful manner. This will help you build connections and learn more about the forum community.