Schrodinger's Forum: Both Logged In and Not Logged In

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a sudden issue with logging in and accessing certain pages on the forum. The behavior started happening while the user had a PF tab open and has continued even after restarting the browser and computer. The user has also experienced similar issues in the past. Another user suggests that it could be a lost packet problem and recommends trying the connection on a different computer. The issue was resolved by clearing the browser cache. One user also mentions having experienced similar problems with bad cable in the past. The conversation ends with a humorous suggestion to "decohere" oneself and the computer.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This just started happening to me in the last few minutes:

On some pages like this one I am logged in; I get alerts appropriate to me, can post things, there is an alert for a new post, but it doesn't clear when I go to it and when I get there I am in a not logged in state.

On other pages I am not logged in, now functional buttons for logging in and registering are shown, but only lead to an "Oops" box, can't see the Insider's (?) Forum, can't make posts.

The states can change either way transitioning from page to page.
The behavior started suddenly while I had a PF tab open.

This behavior has continued:
  • after I started a new thread
  • after I restarted the browser, and
  • after I restarted the computer.
Mac OS 12.2
Firefox 102.0.1

Physics news on Phys.org
Delete cookies, clear browser cache.

Doesn't have to help though.

(I had problems with the alerts last week, they were not clearing up no matter what I tried)

Likes BillTre
That @Borek!
Thanks.
Had to see what you said from the e-mail alert message, since I could not get to your post on the forum.

Likes Borek
BillTre said:
On some pages like this one I am logged in; I get alerts appropriate to me, can post things, there is an alert for a new post, but it doesn't clear when I go to it and when I get there I am in a not logged in state.

On other pages I am not logged in, now functional buttons for logging in and registering are shown, but only lead to an "Oops" box, can't see the Insider's (?) Forum, can't make posts.

The states can change either way transitioning from page to page.
The behavior started suddenly while I had a PF tab open.
I have been facing this for quite some weeks, but randomly and not always. Mostly, on clicking the back button, the Login/Register buttons appear, and the site shows that I am not logged in. Generally refreshing the page solves the issue in my case.

Likes BillTre
Sounds like a Lost-Packet problem. Occassionally the Internet will lose a packet in transmission, or garble it, causing this type of weird problem.

The loss could be Anywhere in the chain from the server thru to and including your computer. See if you can find someone to try their computer on your connection; also try your computer on theirs if possible.

If you have had unusual weather lately, that could be a trigger for intermittent failure of the distribution network -- wind, temperature, high or low humidity can all push old coax cable or their repeaters to act up.

I've seen a 40ft. run of 15 year old coax that was in trays and protected by a roof from sun and the weather, show Good signal strength (by the installers test set), but the router could not get any data.

The installer eventually called for assistance. When Assistance arrived, he didn't even bother to tell anyone -- he just layed in a new coax and said "Try it now." Problem solved.

I've also had telephone and/or cable go out after a particularly heavy rain. A couple days of bright Sun solves that before a repair crew can find it!

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Spinnor and BillTre
Its all better now after clear browser cache like @Borek said.

Weather was nice.
I have some bad cable problems in the past, when it rained. It went away when I changed the incoming cable which could get wet.

Have you tried decohering yourself and your computer? That should fix any Schrodinger's cat paradoxes you may be experiencing. :wink:

• Haha
Likes Tom.G, BillTre and anorlunda

1. What is Schrodinger's Forum?

Schrodinger's Forum is a hypothetical online discussion platform that exists in a state of both being logged in and not logged in at the same time. It is based on the famous thought experiment by physicist Erwin Schrodinger, known as Schrodinger's cat.

2. How can a forum be both logged in and not logged in?

This is a theoretical concept that challenges our understanding of reality. In Schrodinger's Forum, the state of being logged in and not logged in exists simultaneously until an observer interacts with the system and collapses it into one of the two states.

3. What is the purpose of Schrodinger's Forum?

The purpose of Schrodinger's Forum is to demonstrate the principle of superposition in quantum mechanics and how it can be applied to our perception of reality. It also raises questions about the nature of observation and its effect on the state of a system.

4. Is Schrodinger's Forum a real website?

No, Schrodinger's Forum is a hypothetical concept and does not exist as a real website. It is used as a thought experiment to illustrate complex scientific ideas.

5. What can we learn from Schrodinger's Forum?

Schrodinger's Forum teaches us about the strange and counterintuitive principles of quantum mechanics, such as superposition and the role of observation in determining the state of a system. It also challenges our understanding of reality and the limitations of our perception.