Can You Divide When Formally Proving Trig Identities?

In summary, when formally proving trig identities using algebra, it is typically allowed to divide by trig functions, even though they may take on the value zero for certain angles. This is because the purpose of the exercise is to practice using standard formulas and not worry about the finer points of algebra. It would be pedantic and unnecessary to mention exceptions for specific values in every exercise. However, deliberately introducing factors that are identically zero will likely result in zero marks.
filter54321
When formally proving trig identities using algebra are you allowed to divide? Ordinarily I wouldn't think twice about this. Sure, the trig function by which you are dividing might take on 0, but not for all angles. We divide by potential zeros all the time.

My advisor was being very coy about the answer and it was kind of obnoxious. I know that in some constructions of the rational numbers from the integers you can't formally "divide" because, given the integers, you can't define it as an operation.

Is the trig "issue" related? I can't find anything on Google so I think he's being overly Socratic.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If it is an identity, then you will end up with a correct formula for all cases when you are not dividing by 0. Those cases can then be inferred as limits.

When you are "formally proving trig identities", most likely the purpose of the exercise is to make you practise using standard formulas (e.g cos^2 x + sin^2 x = 1, etc) not worrying about the finer points of algebra. You don't normally bother about the fact that functions like tan, cot, sec, cosec are undefined for some angles either.

It would be pedantic to add "except when x = some particular values" to every exercise like this. It wouldn't add any value to the exercise, and might make some students go off in completely the wrong direction.

Of course if you deliberately introduce a new factor like (1 - cos^2 x - sin^2 x) which is identically zero, you will probably get what you deserve (i.e. zero marks!)

1. What is the purpose of proving trigonometric identities?

Proving trigonometric identities is important in mathematics because it allows us to manipulate and simplify complicated trigonometric expressions, making it easier to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy. It also helps to deepen our understanding of the relationships between different trigonometric functions.

2. How do I know which identities to use when proving a trigonometric equation?

There are several basic identities that are commonly used in proving trigonometric equations, such as the Pythagorean identities, double angle identities, and sum and difference identities. It is important to have a good understanding of these identities and their variations in order to choose the most appropriate one for a given equation.

3. What are some tips for proving trigonometric identities?

When proving trigonometric identities, it is important to remember to work with one side of the equation at a time and use algebraic techniques to transform it into the other side. It can also be helpful to simplify each side of the equation using basic trigonometric identities before attempting to prove the equation.

4. How can I check if my proof of a trigonometric identity is correct?

One way to check the correctness of a proof for a trigonometric identity is to substitute different values for the variables in the equation and see if both sides of the equation yield the same result. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to plot the two sides of the equation and see if they overlap.

5. Is it necessary to memorize all trigonometric identities for proofs?

While it is important to have a good understanding of basic trigonometric identities, it is not necessary to memorize all of them for proving trigonometric equations. With practice and familiarity, you will become more comfortable with using the identities and will be able to derive them if needed.