Can You Help Prove This Combinatorial Identity?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Lancelot1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Identity
In summary, the conversation is about someone trying to prove an identity involving binomial coefficients but facing difficulties. They mention using Pascal's identity and believe the proof should not be too long. The identity has both algebraic and combinatorial proofs.
Lancelot1
Dear All,

I am trying to prove the following identity:

\[\binom{n}{k}=\binom{n-2}{k}+2\binom{n-2}{k-1}+\binom{n-2}{k-2}\]

My attempt was based on transforming the binomial coefficients into fractions with factorials, and then elimintating similar expressions. Somehow it didn't work out.

I believe that this proof shouldn't be too long. Can you assist ?Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using Pascal's identity,
\[
\binom{n}{k}=\binom{n-1}{k-1}+\binom{n-1}{k}=\left[\binom{n-2}{k-2}+\binom{n-2}{k-1}\right]+\left[\binom{n-2}{k-1}+\binom{n-2}{k}\right]=\binom{n-2}{k-2}+2\binom{n-2}{k-1}+\binom{n-2}{k}.
\]
The identity itself has both algebraic and combinatorial proofs.

Thank you !

1. What is a combinatorial identity?

A combinatorial identity is a mathematical equation that states two different ways of counting the same set of objects. It is also known as a counting principle or a combinatorial proof.

2. How do you prove a combinatorial identity?

To prove a combinatorial identity, you must use a systematic approach to show that the two sides of the equation are equal. This can be done by using mathematical techniques such as induction, bijection, or generating functions.

3. What are some common techniques used to prove combinatorial identities?

Some common techniques used to prove combinatorial identities include the use of algebraic manipulations, the application of known identities, and the use of combinatorial principles such as the product rule, sum rule, and inclusion-exclusion principle.

4. Can combinatorial identities be used in real-world applications?

Yes, combinatorial identities have many real-world applications in fields such as computer science, statistics, and physics. They can be used to solve problems related to counting, probability, and discrete structures.

5. How can I improve my skills in proving combinatorial identities?

To improve your skills in proving combinatorial identities, you can practice solving various types of problems and familiarize yourself with different techniques and strategies. It can also be helpful to study the work of other mathematicians and attend workshops or seminars on combinatorics and discrete mathematics.