Electromagnetic force calculation

In summary, the force due to an electromagnetic field on a surface can be calculated using the Maxwell stress tensor, which consists of E_x, E_y, E_z, H_x, H_y, and H_z. The field points are used in the force calculation by using the average field, which eliminates the surface's own field. This method can be found in Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics and is based on the reasoning that the surface's own field does not exert a force on itself.
krindik
Hi,

I understand that force due to an electromagnetic field on a surface can be calculated by
[tex] F = \oint {T . n dS} [/tex] where [tex]T[/tex] is Maxwell stress tensor.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxwell_stress_tensor"

And this tensor consists of [tex]E_x, E_y, E_z, H_x, H_y, H_z[/tex]

I don't understand how the field points are used in the force calculation, say for example, to calculate force on a dielectric sphere in an EM wave in vacuum.

What are field points used for E_x, ..., H_x, ... ? Are the within the dielectric or in vacuum?
Since the fields on the boundary are not known (only fields in either side of the boundary are known) how do you calculate the force?

Can somebody shed some light on this or point me to some example where a similar calculation is done?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Forces on surfaces are always (as far as I've seen) calculated using the average field.

Thanks. Can u point me to some text or online notes where it uses the averaging method?

I learned that method of calculating force from Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics. He also has a section in chapter 8 discussing the stress tensor. He describes the reasoning for the average is that it eliminates the surface's own field (which is locally symmetric due to Gauss' Law and Ampere's Law) which doesn't exert a force on itself.

Last edited:

1. What is electromagnetic force calculation?

Electromagnetic force calculation is the process of determining the strength and direction of the force between electrically charged particles or objects. This force is a fundamental force of nature and is responsible for many phenomena, including electricity, magnetism, and light.

2. How is electromagnetic force calculated?

Electromagnetic force is calculated using the equation F = k * (q1 * q2) / r2, where F is the force, k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them. This equation is known as Coulomb's law.

3. What factors affect the strength of electromagnetic force?

The strength of electromagnetic force is affected by the charges of the particles (q1 and q2) and the distance between them (r). The force increases as the charges increase and decreases as the distance between them increases.

4. How is electromagnetic force different from other types of forces?

Electromagnetic force is different from other types of forces, such as gravitational and nuclear forces, because it can be both attractive and repulsive. It also has an infinite range, unlike the other forces which have limited ranges.

5. What are some real-world applications of electromagnetic force calculation?

Electromagnetic force calculation has many real-world applications, including the design of electrical circuits, the operation of electric motors and generators, the behavior of charged particles in particle accelerators, and the study of the interactions between atoms and molecules in chemistry. It is also essential in the development of technologies such as radio, television, and telecommunications.