Maxwell's equations for TEM mode

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of equations related to TEM mode and the attempt to prove the orthogonality of electric and magnetic fields using Maxwell's equation. The speaker questions a discrepancy between their own calculated relation and the one in the book they are referencing. They also mention the possibility of the book considering a wave polarized in the x direction. Further information, such as the book title and the type of wave guide, is needed for a complete understanding.
Young_Scientist23
Dear All,

I'm confused after reading of some chapter in a book, in which equations related to TEM mode have been derived. I want to prove mathematically, that Electric and Magnetic fields are ortogonal to each other. Thus, I use well known Maxwell equation:

$$\nabla \times \overrightarrow{E} + \frac{\partial \overrightarrow{B} }{\partial t} = 0$$

Due to fact, that the TEM mode is considered i.e. ##\overrightarrow{E}## varies only with ##z## plane ( ## \frac{\partial \overrightarrow{E} }{\partial x} = \frac{\partial \overrightarrow{E} }{\partial y} = 0##)

I calculate the following relation for TEM:

$$\overrightarrow{i}(-\frac{\partial E_y}{\partial z}) + \overrightarrow{j}(\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial z}) + \overrightarrow{i}(\frac{\mu \partial H_x}{\partial t}) + \overrightarrow{j}(\frac{\mu \partial H_y}{\partial t}) = 0$$

whereas in mentioned book is:

$$\overrightarrow{j}(\frac{\partial E_x}{\partial z}) + \overrightarrow{i}(\frac{\mu \partial H_x}{\partial t}) + \overrightarrow{j}(\frac{\mu \partial H_y}{\partial t}) = 0$$

I'm wondering what happens with ##\overrightarrow{i}(-\frac{\partial E_y}{\partial z}) ##. I've made something wrong or there is some issue in the book ?

Regards,
E.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the book you're looking at or at least a description of the geometry might help.

One suggestion, ##\text{TEM}_{10}## modes in a rectangular guide may be written or viewed as the sum of two plane waves. Each is the reflection of the other at the guide angle.

1. What book?
2. What kind of wave guide?
3. Your equations look like they are for a rectangular wave guide, but a TEM wave needs two separate surfaces.
4. The book could just be considering a wave polarized in the x direction.

Likes radium

1. What are Maxwell's equations for TEM mode?

Maxwell's equations for TEM (Transverse Electromagnetic) mode are a set of four partial differential equations that describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in a medium with no net charge or current. They are named after physicist James Clerk Maxwell, who first derived them in the 1860s.

2. What is the significance of TEM mode in electromagnetics?

TEM mode is significant because it is the only mode in which both the electric and magnetic fields are perpendicular to the direction of propagation. This makes it ideal for transmission of electromagnetic waves through transmission lines, such as coaxial cables, and for use in microwave circuits and antennas.

3. How do Maxwell's equations for TEM mode differ from those for other modes?

Maxwell's equations for TEM mode differ from those for other modes in that they do not contain any terms for longitudinal components of the electric or magnetic fields. This is because in TEM mode, the fields are purely transverse, meaning they are perpendicular to the direction of propagation.

4. Can Maxwell's equations for TEM mode be applied to all types of materials?

Yes, Maxwell's equations for TEM mode can be applied to all types of materials, as long as they have no net charge or current. This includes both conductive and insulating materials.

5. How are Maxwell's equations for TEM mode used in practical applications?

Maxwell's equations for TEM mode are used in a variety of practical applications, including telecommunications, radar, and high-frequency electronics. They are also essential for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in transmission lines and waveguides.