Rename Report Button to Avoid Negative Connotations

• Suggestion
  • Thread starter I like Serena
  • Start date
In summary, the "Report" button should be relabeled. It is explained to me that it only alerts the mentors so they can help out, but it feels as if I'm saying something negative about someone. I don't want the person I'm "reporting" to feel that way. And often it is just to see that newcomers post in the right forum. I would suggest for instance "Help" or "Alert" instead.
I like Serena
Homework Helper
MHB
Rename "Report" button

I think it would be nice if the "Report" button was relabeled.

It has been explained to me that it only alerts the mentors so they can help out.
However, it feels as if I'm saying something negative about someone, which I am reluctant to do.
I certainly don't want the person I'm "reporting" to feel that way.

And often it is just to see that newcomers post in the right forum.

I would suggest for instance "Help" or "Alert" instead.

Physics news on Phys.org

"help" has connotations of the help-function in an OS ... Clippy?

there is a neutral sense to "report", as in a book report. So reports don't have to be negative. You are right though, there is a negative connotation that will be hard to shake.

"Alert" seems OK - but then, what if you do have something negative to say? "report" is pretty common in these sorts of forums (fora? forae? forii? places!) so there is an advantage in keeping the gui as expected.

There is room for two button there though - perhaps an alert button, mouseover-text different but function the same?

But I wonder how bad a problem this is.

Simon Bridge said:
"help" has connotations of the help-function in an OS ... Clippy?

there is a neutral sense to "report", as in a book report. So reports don't have to be negative. You are right though, there is a negative connotation that will be hard to shake.

"Alert" seems OK - but then, what if you do have something negative to say? "report" is pretty common in these sorts of forums (fora? forae? forii? places!) so there is an advantage in keeping the gui as expected.

There is room for two button there though - perhaps an alert button, mouseover-text different but function the same?

But I wonder how bad a problem this is.
Since the only people that see the report are the mentors and the mentors know that reports are just a request to look at a post, it doesn't matter. Just because you report a post doesn't mean any action will be taken. We will look at a post objectively and decide what, if anything, is needed. The person reported has no idea, so there is no negative connotation.

Sometimes reports backfire. If a person reports a member that has not broken any rules, but the reporter has, well, we look at everything. :approve:

It is not for us to decide whether a report results in a punishment. It is up to us simply to report issues. That frees you from taking the role of judge, jury or executioner.

Candidly, I'll tell you that, when I use the report, I will usually try to set the stage for the mentor as to what I see as the problem and possible solution. If I think it should be handled gently, I'll say so.

ILS, you're just feeling guilty. Don't. Set the stage and trust that the mentors will see it the same way you do.[EDIT] Evo has a point I missed. Many times, mentors choose to take no action at all. (It could be due to a possible itchy Report finger on my part, but I prefer to think that it's more due to their compassionate rule.)

I like Serena said:
I think it would be nice if the "Report" button was relabeled.

It has been explained to me that it only alerts the mentors so they can help out.
However, it feels as if I'm saying something negative about someone, which I am reluctant to do.
I certainly don't want the person I'm "reporting" to feel that way.

And often it is just to see that newcomers post in the right forum.

I would suggest for instance "Help" or "Alert" instead.

I had an impulse to report this post and say, Let's all give ILS a big group hug :biggrin:.

DaveC426913 said:
It is not for us to decide whether a report results in a punishment. It is up to us simply to report issues. That frees you from taking the role of judge, jury or executioner.

Candidly, I'll tell you that, when I use the report, I will usually try to set the stage for the mentor as to what I see as the problem and possible solution. If I think it should be handled gently, I'll say so.

ILS, you're just feeling guilty. Don't. Set the stage and trust that the mentors will see it the same way you do.

[EDIT] Evo has a point I missed. Many times, mentors choose to take no action at all. (It could be due to a possible itchy Report finger on my part, but I prefer to think that it's more due to their compassionate rule.)
Dave, your reports are fine, very helpful. We get many reports. And reports to move homework, which is all ILS does, is expected, it's just moving posts to where thay can get the proper help.

Last edited:

reports to move homework, which is all ILS does
sooo, that's what ILS does is it? :) so much for secrecy.
we look at everything.
Everything?
everything eh ... listen, it wasn't my fault, it just slipped!

Simon Bridge said:
sooo, that's what ILS does is it? :) so much for secrecy.
Yeah, he's a real badguy. :tongue2:

Everything?
Everything.

Once I saw a person pouring in dozens of crazy posts in a few minutes, as replies to existing threads, about knocking down an old man with a laptop, and stabbing an other with a knife and so on. I taught him dangerous and reported - first time since I am here. I got the reply that I had to wait for an hour. Do I really need to wait for an hour when I see an attack against the Forums?

Otherwise I never click on "Report", as I feel the same as ILS with respect to reporting about somebody.

ehild

ehild said:
Once I saw a person pouring in dozens of crazy posts in a few minutes, as replies to existing threads, about knocking down an old man with a laptop, and stabbing an other with a knife and so on. I taught him dangerous and reported - first time since I am here. I got the reply that I had to wait for an hour. Do I really need to wait for an hour when I see an attack against the Forums?

Otherwise I never click on "Report", as I feel the same as ILS with respect to reporting about somebody.

ehild
You should be able to report immediately. The software doesn't allow the same report within 5 minutes though.

Please disregard what ILS has said, he has nothing to worry about, reports are confidential, no one knows the results. Even if a member were to ask for results, we will not share them unless there is a unique need to know, and there isn't a need to know other than a generic, yes, we got your report. But members should not be asking the mentors, be assured we have considered them.

I think ILS is more about the feeling of clicking "report" rather than the consequences.

Maybe there could be a button called:
"come now, have a cocoa, and tell the nice mentor all about it"

Maybe a "private comment" button that goes to a menu
complain
vent spleen
woops - did I click that
submit for academic review
commend
recommend
OMGWTF
none of the above

But don't take my advise - I was sacked from Samaritans after my first two callers both killed themselves... epic fail but it still wouldn't have been so bad except one was a wrong number.

I designed their automated councelling service: it was a tape loop that said, "There there - that's no way to be. Now buck those ideas up and get cracking! Turn that frown upside down, and remember - inside every silver lining there's..." no hang on that's not right...

Evo said:
You should be able to report immediately. The software doesn't allow the same report within 5 minutes though.

I do not understand then why I was said to wait. It might be I clicked on "Report" twice and no feedback after the first, the reply came after the second.

Evo said:
Please disregard what ILS has said, he has nothing to worry about, reports are confidential, no one knows the results.

It is not about consequences. It is just a bad feeling. I am an old person, living in a country with widespread tradition of reporting about classmates, co-workers, neighbours... I know the word "report" does not have the meaning I feel in it. You do not need to worry about people's complexes. My business is to use the Report button or not. I use it only in case of emergency.

ehild

Hah - and what about people using the site who are from ex communist-bloc countries?
Current communist bloc countries?

Oppressive regimes? ... we could have a button to report "something strange" to Homeland Security (or Ghostbusters)?

I think it comes back to: how big-a problem is this?
If it makes people reluctant to report bad/nice things, how bad is that?
What exactly is the concern apart from feeling a bit awkward... after all you don't have to click "report".

Do we need some sort of positive button for positive mentions on a post-by-post basis?

Simon Bridge said:
Hah - and what about people using the site who are from ex communist-bloc countries?
Current communist bloc countries?

I am one of those people, and the tradition is still alive in my country.

Sometimes I would need contact with a mentor, when an other section would be more appropriate to a thread. If I saw a "Contact" button I certainly will click on it.

But you are right, this is not a serious problem at all, Simon Bridge. So I quit from the thread.

ehild

ehild gets what I mean. :smile:

I believe words with negative connotations should be avoided.
It makes for a freeer and more enjoyable experience for everyone involved.
And I like making people feel good about themselves and the world in general.

No, it's not a serious problem.
It's just a suggestion.

Edit: Oh, and I like the suggestion "Contact".

Last edited:

That's not bad - a "contact" button next to the "report" button - give it a green or a yellow band ... it need not actually do anything much different from the report button. The function is purely political.

Note: tech types are usually a-political and hate anything "PC".
Lets let the idea simmer for a while.

Simon Bridge said:
But don't take my advise - I was sacked from Samaritans after my first two callers both killed themselves... epic fail but it still wouldn't have been so bad except one was a wrong number.
I'm reporting Simon Bridge for being too funny.

I can't think of any event where the report button would be pressed not pertaining to a violation of the rules. That could be something very minor like posting in the wrong thread up to spam or crackpottery.

Simon Bridge said:
I think ILS is more about the feeling of clicking "report" rather than the consequences.

Maybe there could be a button called:
"come now, have a cocoa, and tell the nice mentor all about it"

Maybe a "private comment" button that goes to a menu
complain
vent spleen
woops - did I click that
submit for academic review
commend
recommend
OMGWTF
none of the above

I designed their automated councelling service: it was a tape loop that said, "There there - that's no way to be. Now buck those ideas up and get cracking! Turn that frown upside down, and remember - inside every silver lining there's..." no hang on that's not right...
I see you are getting ready for next year's awards. :rofl:

What is the purpose of renaming the report button?

The purpose of renaming the report button is to avoid negative connotations associated with the current name. This can help improve the user experience and promote a more positive perception of the feature.

Why is it important to avoid negative connotations in the report button?

Negative connotations can create a negative perception of the feature and discourage users from using it. It can also reflect poorly on the brand and impact the overall user experience.

What are some examples of negative connotations associated with the current report button name?

Some examples of negative connotations associated with the current report button name may include "snitch", "tattletale", or "narc". These terms can imply negative behavior and may discourage users from reporting legitimate issues.

How can the report button be renamed to avoid negative connotations?

The report button can be renamed to more neutral or positive terms, such as "flag", "notify", or "report concern". These terms are less likely to have negative associations and are more straightforward in their purpose.

What steps should be taken after renaming the report button?

After renaming the report button, it is important to communicate the change to users and educate them on the new name and its purpose. This can be done through a notification or update message, as well as providing clear instructions on how to use the feature.