Force on an airplane window, given altitude and area of the window.

In summary, the pressure on the passenger windows in a 747 would be approximately 0.085 m2*101325 Pa=8,325 Pa.
monnapomona

Homework Statement

The modern Boeing 747 passenger jet airplane cruises at a speed up to 920 km/hr, at an altitude of 11,500 m. The cabin pressure is maintained equivalent to the atmospheric pressure at an altitude of 2,000 m. This is called the "cabin altitude".

I couldn't find information on the area of the passenger windows in the 747, so let's assume they're about 0.085 m2.
If the airplane were stationary at its cruising altitude, what would be the force on the window?

Air density = 1.29 kg/m^3

Homework Equations

ΔF = ΔP*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Needed to find the pressure difference so I tried using this formula to find pressures at the given altitudes:
P2 = P1 + ρgh
But it gave me an unrealistic value at height 11000 m (since pressure decreases with increasing height). I'm not really sure which formula to use to find the pressure at the given altitudes. :s

Physics news on Phys.org
monnapomona said:

Homework Statement

The modern Boeing 747 passenger jet airplane cruises at a speed up to 920 km/hr, at an altitude of 11,500 m. The cabin pressure is maintained equivalent to the atmospheric pressure at an altitude of 2,000 m. This is called the "cabin altitude".

I couldn't find information on the area of the passenger windows in the 747, so let's assume they're about 0.085 m2.
If the airplane were stationary at its cruising altitude, what would be the force on the window?

Air density = 1.29 kg/m^3

Homework Equations

ΔF = ΔP*A

The Attempt at a Solution

Needed to find the pressure difference so I tried using this formula to find pressures at the given altitudes:
P2 = P1 + ρgh
But it gave me an unrealistic value at height 11000 m (since pressure decreases with increasing height). I'm not really sure which formula to use to find the pressure at the given altitudes. :s

Density of air won't be constant. Air thins as you go up.

For clarity, I would like to point out that, in the formula P2 = P1 + ρgh, h in this equation it is not really the height of the point whose pressure you want to know - e.g., at sea level it is not zero, h here is the height of the column of air above that point, which is smaller for higher altitudes (since there is less air above the point). I am under the impression that you got that mixed up, sorry if I am wrong.

Besides that, the formula you mention, P2 = P1 + ρgh, is only valid when the density of the fluid is constant. As stated above, density of air is not a constant (i.e. it is not the same for the entire atmosphere, it changes with height. Air thins as you go up, as stated above), it is also a function of height

Neglecting temperature change in the atmosphere and assuming air as an ideal gas, the formula for the pressure is

[itex] P = P_o\exp{(-\dfrac{Mgh}{RT})}[/itex],

where Po is atmospheric pressure at sea level (101325 Pa), M is the molar mass of dry air (0.0289 kg/mol), R the universal gas constant (8.13 J/molK), T sea level standard temperature (around 290K) and h the height. (in this formula, h is really the height above the ground)

If you are interested in the derivation of that formula, just google up "isothermal atmosphere", it is pretty straightforward :)

Last edited:

1. How does altitude affect the force on an airplane window?

As altitude increases, the air pressure decreases. This results in a decrease in force on the airplane window. Therefore, the higher the altitude, the less force the window experiences.

2. Is the force on an airplane window dependent on the area of the window?

Yes, the force on an airplane window is directly proportional to the area of the window. A larger window will experience more force compared to a smaller window, given the same altitude.

3. How is the force on an airplane window calculated?

The force on an airplane window can be calculated using the formula: Force = Pressure x Area. The pressure can be determined by the altitude of the airplane and the area is the size of the window.

4. Why is it important to consider the force on an airplane window?

The force on an airplane window is important to consider because it can affect the structural integrity of the window. Too much force can cause the window to crack or break, potentially leading to dangerous situations for the passengers and crew.

5. Does the shape of the window affect the force on an airplane window?

Yes, the shape of the window can affect the force on an airplane window. A curved or angled window may experience a different amount of force compared to a flat window, even if they have the same area. This is due to the differences in air pressure distribution on different window shapes.