Faraday Effect: Calculating Vedet Constants

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment where the verdet constant was calculated for a glass rod using equipment from TeachSpin. The results were successful and the group is wondering if anyone has done a similar experiment with other substances, particularly liquids with known verdet constants. No new findings are mentioned.
mmedrano8
Hi guys, so we currently ran an experiment where we calculated the verdet constant when laser light passed through a glass rod then through an analyzer to a photodetector.
The experiment worked great for us but I wanted to know if anyone has ever calculated the verdet constant for any other substances.

To be more specific, we used equipment bought from TeachSpin,
we used a solenoid with about 1400 turns of copper wires with a power supply hooked up to it at 3 amps to apply a magnetic field of about 11.l(mT/A)I, where I is the current, 3 amps in out case.
The glass rod was specifically called Schott SF-59, and had a verdet constant of about 23 radians/mT*m

has anyone ran the experiment with perhaps a liquid with a known verdet constant? Or any other easy to get substance?
Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

What is the Faraday Effect?

The Faraday Effect is a phenomenon in physics where the plane of polarization of light is rotated when passing through a medium that is subject to a magnetic field.

What are Vedet Constants?

Vedet Constants are a set of parameters used to calculate the amount of rotation of the plane of polarization in the Faraday Effect. They depend on the properties of the medium and the strength of the magnetic field.

How do you calculate Vedet Constants?

Vedet Constants can be calculated by measuring the angle of rotation of the plane of polarization for different values of the magnetic field strength. The slope of the resulting graph is equal to one of the Vedet Constants, while the y-intercept is equal to another.

What is the relationship between Vedet Constants and the Verdet Constant?

The Verdet Constant is a single value that represents the combined effect of all the Vedet Constants. It is equal to the sum of all the Vedet Constants multiplied by the magnetic field strength.

Why is the Faraday Effect important?

The Faraday Effect has many practical applications, such as in optical communication, laser technology, and magnetic field measurement. It also provides insight into the properties of different materials and their response to magnetic fields.