Applied Mechanics Books - Physics & Practical Applications

In summary, the person is asking for a recommended book on applied mechanics that not only covers the physics view, but also includes practical applications of mechanics. They clarify that they do not want to study mechanics without the physics view, but are also interested in the mechanical engineering perspective.
arevolutionist
What book would you recommend on Applied Mechanics? I wish to not only obtain the physics view; I also wish to obtain the practical applications of mechanics.

Physics news on Phys.org
arevolutionist said:
What book would you recommend on Applied Mechanics? I wish to not only obtain the physics view; I also wish to obtain the practical applications of mechanics.

huh? How do you study mechanics while not studying the physics view. That's like wanting to learn how to build a house without wanting to learn how to use a hammer.

Sorry. I am not saying I wish to study mechanics without the physics view. I am saying I also wish to obtain the mechanical engineering view and am asking for a recommended book.

arevolutionist said:
Sorry. I am not saying I wish to study mechanics without the physics view. I am saying I also wish to obtain the mechanical engineering view and am asking for a recommended book.

ha, I misread your post. oops. I missed the word 'only' in your post.

1. What is the difference between theoretical and applied mechanics?

Theoretical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the mathematical modeling of physical systems, while applied mechanics focuses on the practical application of those models to real-world problems.

2. How can applied mechanics be used in everyday life?

Applied mechanics has a wide range of applications in everyday life, including the design of structures and machines, understanding the movements of vehicles and projectiles, and the development of new technologies such as robotics and prosthetics.

3. What are some important topics covered in applied mechanics books?

Some important topics covered in applied mechanics books include kinematics, dynamics, statics, fluid mechanics, and materials science. These topics are essential for understanding the behavior of physical systems and designing practical solutions.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying applied mechanics?

A strong foundation in mathematics and physics is necessary for studying applied mechanics. It is recommended to have a good understanding of calculus, mechanics, and thermodynamics before delving into applied mechanics.

5. What skills can be gained from studying applied mechanics?

Studying applied mechanics can develop critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and an understanding of how physical systems work. It also helps in developing practical skills such as data analysis, modeling, and designing solutions to real-world problems.