New finding with matter/anti-matter?

• Thread starter CosmicCrunch
  • Start date
In summary, recent results from Fermilab showed that a certain reaction thought to produce equal amounts of matter and antimatter actually produces slightly more matter than antimatter. However, when matter and antimatter particles are put together, they still annihilate completely. This is consistent with the theory that the big bang created equal amounts of matter and antimatter, with most of it annihilating each other and leaving behind a small amount of matter that formed the existing universe. The book "Antimatter" by Frank Close delves further into the mathematics behind this phenomenon. A link to an article discussing these results is provided.
CosmicCrunch
I didn't read into it too much but supposedly they found that matter and antimatter don't cancel each other out completely? There's still some matter left over?

Physics news on Phys.org
CosmicCrunch said:
I didn't read into it too much but supposedly they found that matter and antimatter don't cancel each other out completely? There's still some matter left over?

OK, CC; how about posting the link so we don't have to speculate on what you think you read.

If you're referring to recent results from Fermilab, what they found is that a certain kind of reaction which was thought to produce matter and antimatter in equal quantities actually doesn't; it produces a little bit more matter than antimatter. As far as we know, it's still true that if you put one particle of matter together with the corresponding particle of antimatter, they will annihilate completely.

diazona said:
If you're referring to recent results from Fermilab, what they found is that a certain kind of reaction which was thought to produce matter and antimatter in equal quantities actually doesn't; it produces a little bit more matter than antimatter. As far as we know, it's still true that if you put one particle of matter together with the corresponding particle of antimatter, they will annihilate completely.

You are correct, they convert back into the energy that they were created from in the first place. The big bang released the energy latent in the singularity ( we don't have a good theory of what triggered it) but the energy formed matter and antimatter as it spread out. Most of the matter and antimatter annihated each other leaving the cosmic background radiation throughout the universe. In the book 'Antimatter' by Frank Close of Oxford U he describe the mathematics as to why a minute amount of matter remained which forms the existing matter of the universe. It' very worthwhile reading.

Creator said:
OK, CC; how about posting the link so we don't have to speculate on what you think you read.

thanx to you guys who actually tried to answer my question instead of leaving a sarcastic comment since i didn't have a chance at that point in time to actually look up where I found it. But now that i do have time Creator let me show what i was talking about, you guys are right tho now that i actaully read into it it does say that

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/science/space/18cosmos.html

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between matter and anti-matter?

Matter and anti-matter are essentially mirror images of each other. Matter is made up of particles with positive charge, such as protons, neutrons, and electrons. Anti-matter, on the other hand, is made up of particles with negative charge, such as anti-protons, anti-neutrons, and positrons. When matter and anti-matter come into contact, they annihilate each other, releasing a tremendous amount of energy.

2. How do scientists study matter and anti-matter?

Scientists study matter and anti-matter by creating them in particle accelerators and studying their properties and interactions. They also use various detectors and instruments to measure the particles produced when matter and anti-matter collide.

3. What is the significance of the discovery of matter and anti-matter?

The discovery of matter and anti-matter has significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It helps explain why there is more matter than anti-matter in the universe, and can potentially provide insights into the fundamental laws of physics.

4. Can matter and anti-matter be used as a source of energy?

Yes, the annihilation of matter and anti-matter releases a tremendous amount of energy, making it a potentially powerful source of energy. However, harnessing this energy is currently not feasible due to the challenges involved in creating and containing significant amounts of anti-matter.

5. Are there any practical applications of matter and anti-matter?

Currently, there are no practical applications of matter and anti-matter, but research in this field could potentially lead to new technologies and advancements in fields such as energy production, medicine, and space travel.