Aerospace Jobs with Physics Major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of obtaining a job in the aerospace industry with a major in physics. The speaker mentions their preference for theory over applications and the availability of jobs for physics majors at Boeing. However, it is suggested that studying Aerospace Engineering may be a better option for those interested in working in aerospace.
Rose53
Is it possible to get a job in aerospace industries with a major in physics? I am planning to go for either a MS or PhD later on if I do pick a BS in physics.

I like theory more than applications. Obviously applications are important, but physics appeals to me more. Its the kind of reading I do in my free time.

What kinds of jobs would be available with a BS in physics?

Physics news on Phys.org
Boeing is a huge industry here in the Seattle area, and they hire physics majors.

But you should consider studying Aerospace Engineering if your true goal is to work in aerospace.

What kind of jobs can I get with a physics major in the aerospace industry?

With a physics major, you can pursue a variety of careers in the aerospace industry such as aerospace engineer, research scientist, data analyst, systems engineer, and technical writer.

Do I need a specific concentration or specialization in physics to work in the aerospace field?

While having a concentration or specialization in a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics or aerodynamics, can be beneficial, it is not always necessary. Employers in the aerospace industry often look for candidates with a strong foundation in physics principles and problem-solving skills.

What skills are important for a physics major to have for a career in aerospace?

Some important skills for a physics major in the aerospace industry include strong analytical and mathematical skills, programming knowledge, attention to detail, and the ability to work well in a team.

Are internships or co-op opportunities available for physics majors in the aerospace field?

Yes, many companies in the aerospace industry offer internships or co-op opportunities for physics majors. These can provide valuable hands-on experience and help you network with professionals in the field.

What are some potential career growth opportunities for physics majors in the aerospace industry?

With experience and further education, physics majors in the aerospace industry can advance to positions such as project manager, lead engineer, or research director. They can also pursue advanced degrees and become professors or researchers in the field.