Calculating K.E: 0.0136 J Solution

• Thread starter sfx81
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the kinetic energy of a rotating system with a mass of 0.20 kilograms attached to a turntable with a radius of 6cm. The formula used is (1/2)mv2, where m is the mass and v is the velocity. The velocity is calculated to be 0.3769 meters/second and the kinetic energy is found to be 0.0136 Joules. The conversation then discusses working out the rotational kinetic energy using the formula E = 0.5*I*(w^2), where I is the moment of inertia and w is the angular frequency. The final result is found to be 2.841 * 10-3 Joules. There
sfx81
Hi, I am trying to calculate Kinetic energy of system where a mass m(0.20 kilogram) attached at one ond of turntable rotating at 1 revolution per second. The radius of turntable is 6cm.
Here I solve it, please correct

Kinetic Energy = (1/2)mv2

calculating velocity at 1 rpm, and radius = 6cm
so for circumfrance of circle = 2*pi*r
v = 2 * 3.14 * 6cm = 37.69 cm = 0.3769 meters/second

K.E = 0.5 * 0.20 * 0.372 meters
= 0.0136 Joules <=== Is this correct ?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to work out it's rotational kinetic energy.

I = m*(r^2)

I is the moment of inertia of a point mass rotating about a fixed point. Mass of turntable isn't mentioned so assume it is negligible.

E = 0.5*I*(w^2)

E is the energy of a rotating system, where w is angular frequency which is found by:

w = 2*([tex]\pi[/tex])/T

Hi . So If I get it right
mass = 0.02Kg, radius = 6cm = 0.06 meter, frequency = 1 revolution per second
KErotation = I * w2
where w = angular velocity = 2 * pi * f , where f = frequency in revolutions per second.
I = m * r2
K.E rotation = m * r2 * ( 2 * pi * 1)2
= 0.02 * 0.062 * (2*pi*1)
= 2.841 * 10-3 Joules

If this is correct, then how do we equate in the mass of turn table (e.g 0.5 Kg) into equation ? Cause rotational kinetic energy deals with point mass around rotation axis, where as a turn table alone has uniform mass distribution along its surface ?

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is: KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity.

How do you convert kinetic energy to joules?

To convert kinetic energy to joules, use the formula: 1 joule = 1 kg * m^2/s^2. This means that kinetic energy is measured in joules (J).

What are the units for kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is typically measured in joules (J). However, it can also be measured in other units such as ergs, calories, and electron volts.

What is the significance of the value "0.0136 J" in the solution?

The value "0.0136 J" represents the amount of kinetic energy in joules. It is the result of the calculation using the formula for kinetic energy.

How does kinetic energy affect an object?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. The greater the mass and velocity of an object, the more kinetic energy it will have. Kinetic energy can be transferred between objects during collisions or through work done by external forces.