Velocity of pulley when spooling line?

In summary, the system would need to be able to detect when the line is 'riding turns' and then adjust the speed of the drum to maintain even spooling.
Wallys
Hi.
I have a scenario where I am spooling line onto a hollow housing of given minor and major diameters. The velocity of the line being fed into the housing is determined by a feed-pulley of known diameter and r.p.m. I need to calculate the r.p.m. of that the housing needs to be turned in order to accommodate even spooling. Can someone help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you want the housing (drum?) to have a peripheral speed equal to the line velocity however much line is wound inside the drum? (Is that what you mean by "even spooling"?)
To relate rotation speed to line velocity you can just use
line speed = 2π r f
where f is the rotation rate in turns per second and r is the coil radius.
I guess the best way to ensure this is to calculate the speed needed for the empty drum to fill at the right speed and to operate the drum at this speed. You could use a slipping mechanism to allow the drum to slow down as it fills up. Some sort of fluid drive could achieve this. Otherwise you would need a servo control to match the speeds - using the above formula. Not a trivial problem, though.

Thank you for the reply.
The answer to your first question is, yes. The drum will be servo controlled through a PLC. The drum also has a give width. I therefore need the formula to program the controller.

I have been thinking some more about this. If you are going to have to use a servo then why not use a servo system which actually looks at the position of a 'bailer arm' with respect to the last coil and adjusts the speed / rotation of the drum to get even spooling. This would be a more 'complete' feedback loop than one which makes assumptions about where the line should end up. I appreciate that it may be more difficult to sense position than speed / revolutions but it may be worth considering if the conditions in the drum aren't too 'hostile'.
It would detect 'riding turns' whereas you system would go on regardless.

Hello,

To determine the velocity of the pulley when spooling line, we can use the formula v = ωr, where v is the linear velocity, ω is the angular velocity in radians per second, and r is the radius of the pulley.

First, we need to calculate the linear velocity of the line being fed into the housing. This can be done by multiplying the circumference of the feed-pulley (2πr) by its rotational speed in revolutions per minute (rpm). This will give us the linear velocity of the line in inches per minute.

Next, we need to calculate the angular velocity of the pulley. This can be done by dividing the linear velocity by the radius of the pulley. This will give us the angular velocity in radians per minute.

Finally, to determine the rpm of the housing, we can divide the angular velocity of the pulley by the circumference of the housing (2πR), where R is the radius of the housing. This will give us the rpm that the housing needs to be turned in order to accommodate even spooling.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further clarification.

FAQ: Velocity of pulley when spooling line?

1. What is the relationship between the velocity of a pulley and the speed of spooling line?

The velocity of a pulley is directly related to the speed of spooling line. As the pulley rotates, it pulls the line at a constant velocity, causing the line to spool at the same speed. This means that the faster the pulley rotates, the faster the line will spool.

2. How does the diameter of the pulley affect the velocity of spooling line?

The diameter of the pulley plays a significant role in determining the velocity of spooling line. A larger diameter pulley will have a greater circumference, meaning that for each rotation, the pulley will pull in more line. This results in a higher velocity of spooling line compared to a smaller diameter pulley.

3. Can the velocity of a pulley change while spooling line?

Yes, the velocity of a pulley can change while spooling line. This can happen if the force applied to the pulley changes, or if there is a change in the diameter of the pulley. As a result, the speed of spooling line will also change accordingly.

4. How does the tension in the line affect the velocity of a pulley when spooling?

The tension in the line can have a significant impact on the velocity of a pulley when spooling. If the tension is too high, it can cause the pulley to rotate at a slower velocity, resulting in a slower speed of spooling line. On the other hand, if the tension is too low, it can cause the pulley to rotate at a higher velocity, resulting in a faster speed of spooling line.

5. Is the velocity of spooling line affected by the weight of the line?

Yes, the weight of the line can affect the velocity of spooling line. The heavier the line, the more force it will exert on the pulley, causing it to rotate at a slower velocity and resulting in a slower speed of spooling line. Conversely, a lighter line will have less of an impact on the velocity of the pulley and the speed of spooling line will be faster.