Does the ground state wave function in QM problems have any zeros?

In summary, there are multiple ways to prove that for the ground state in quantum mechanics problems, the wave function cannot have any zeros. This can be shown through the time-independent energy operator, the average value of the derivative of the wave function, or through alternative wave functions and computing the expectation value of the Hamiltonian. The book by Messiah, Quantum Mechanics, also offers a proof using the Wronskian.
LagrangeEuler
Is there some mathematical prove that for ground state in QM problems wave function doesn't have any zeros?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes there is.

Could you tell me some reference or link where I can find it.

You can prove it yourself. Look at the time-independent energy operator, and ask what that tells you about the slope of the wavefunction. Then, ask yourself what nodes in the wavefunction mean to the slopes.

I have shown that for infinite square well and linear harmonic oscillator, but I don't know how to show that for any potential ##V(x)##.
[tex]\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}+\frac{2m}{\hbar^2}(E-V(x))\phi(x)=0[/tex]
That means that ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}=0##, ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}<0##

Hint: deivative of the wavefunction.

I don't understand. Wave function in ground state has one maximum. So for some ##x=a##, ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}|_{x=a}=0##, ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}|_{x=a}<0## and point ##a## is unique in the whole region. Right? I think that is the logic, but I still don't know how to prove that.

Last edited:
Hint: average value of the derivative of the wavefunction

Average value of derivative of wave function is zero. Right?
[tex]\frac{1}{b-a}\int^b_a \frac{d\psi}{dx}dx=\frac{1}{b-a}(\psi(b)-\psi(a))[/tex]
This is result for any state, and not just for ground state.

OK, absolute value...or square. I'm trying to get you to think, not calculate.

I'm trying. Ground state must have one stationary point ##\frac{d\phi}{dx}|_{x=a}=0##. All other states has more then one stationary point. That stationary point is maximum, so ##\frac{d^2\phi}{dx^2}|_{x=a}<0##. From some point to ##a## function ##\phi(x)## increase, and then decrease. Maybe u want me to see that the point ##a## is in the middle of this two intervals. That's the case in the problem that I saw till now.

I tried to prove but I still don't know how. Tnx for your answer.

Suppose you have a wave function with a simple zero at x=a. Thus, near x=a we can write ψ(x)=c*(x-a), where c is a constant.

Let ε be a small length, and consider the following alternative wave function:
χ(x) = -ψ(x) for x < a-ε
χ(x) = cε (that is, constant) for a-ε < x < a+ε
χ(x) = +ψ(x) for x > a+ε

Compute the expectation value of the hamiltonian in ψ and in χ, and show that the expectation value in χ is smaller than it is in ψ. This implies that ψ cannot be the ground state, because the ground state minimizes the expectation value of H. Therefore, ψ cannot have a zero.

Avodyne said:
Suppose you have a wave function with a simple zero at x=a. Thus, near x=a we can write ψ(x)=c*(x-a), where c is a constant.

Let ε be a small length, and consider the following alternative wave function:
χ(x) = -ψ(x) for x < a-ε
χ(x) = cε (that is, constant) for a-ε < x < a+ε
χ(x) = +ψ(x) for x > a+ε

Compute the expectation value of the hamiltonian in ψ and in χ, and show that the expectation value in χ is smaller than it is in ψ. This implies that ψ cannot be the ground state, because the ground state minimizes the expectation value of H. Therefore, ψ cannot have a zero.

Very nice argument.

I think the book by Messiah, Quantum Mechanics, also has a nice proof based on the Wronskian.

What is the ground state in 1d problems?

The ground state in 1d problems refers to the lowest possible energy state that a system can have. In other words, it is the state in which the system is most stable and has the least amount of energy.

How is the ground state determined in 1d problems?

In 1d problems, the ground state is determined by solving the Schrödinger equation for the system. This equation describes the behavior of quantum particles and allows us to calculate the energy of the system at different states.

What are the properties of the ground state in 1d problems?

The ground state in 1d problems has several properties, including a well-defined position and momentum, as well as a zero-point energy. It also serves as the starting point for understanding the excited states of the system.

How does the ground state in 1d problems relate to the uncertainty principle?

The ground state in 1d problems follows the uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to how precisely we can know the position and momentum of a particle. The ground state has the lowest possible uncertainty in these quantities.

Can the ground state in 1d problems be changed?

Yes, the ground state in 1d problems can be changed by altering the parameters of the system, such as the potential well or the mass of the particles. This can result in a different energy and different properties for the ground state.