Solving Factorial Notation Questions: An Explanation

In summary, the conversation discusses rewriting expressions with factorial notation and simplifying without using the factorial symbol. The key to the solution is noticing that n! can be written in terms of (n-2)! and (n+1)!, and then canceling out terms to leave (n+1)/(n(n-1)) as the final answer. The incorrect approach is using (n-2)!=(n-2)(n-1)n!, which results in an incorrect numerator.
funktion
Hey, I was wondering if someone could help me with a specific type of question that I can't seem to understand without an answer key. Anyway, it's rewriting expressions with factorial notation so that they no longer have factorial symbols.

Example:

Simplify without using the factorial symbol:
(n-2)!(n+1)!/(n!)²

The answer is: n+1/n(n-1)

What I don't understand is how you come to that conclusion. Can someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
well, the key to solution is to notice that n!=(n-2)!*(n-1)*n and (n+1)!=n!*(n+1). also (n!)^2=n!*n!.

What is n! ?

It's n*(n-1)*(n-2)*(n-3)*...*1

What is (n-2)! and (n+1)! ?

If you write all of those out, you'll notice that certain terms cancel.

Edit: Or I guess a more direct approach would be to write n! in terms of (n-2)! like mantito has done.

Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I'm still stuck.

I guess I'll show you my work.

(n-2)!(n+1)!/(n!)²

= (n-2)(n-1)n!(n+1)!/n(n-1)(n-2)!(n!)

= (n+1)!/n!

What I have trouble with is I guess why the answer is (n+1)/n(n-1). Can I not just cancel out the factorial symbol without having to multiply (n-1)?

funktion said:
Yeah, I understand what you're saying, but I'm still stuck.

I guess I'll show you my work.

(n-2)!(n+1)!/(n!)²

= (n+1)!/n!

What I have trouble with is I guess why the answer is (n+1)/n(n-1). Can I not just cancel out the factorial symbol without having to multiply (n-1)?

I don`t understand your numerator..did you use (n-2)!=(n-2)(n-1) n! ??
That is incorrect!

You just have to write the (n+1)! as (n+1) n! and then write one of the n! of the denominator as n (n-1) (n-2)! and then all the factorials will cancel out leaving you with (n+1) / (n (n-1))

Patrick

nrqed said:
I don`t understand your numerator..did you use (n-2)!=(n-2)(n-1) n! ??
That is incorrect!

You just have to write the (n+1)! as (n+1) n! and then write one of the n! of the denominator as n (n-1) (n-2)! and then all the factorials will cancel out leaving you with (n+1) / (n (n-1))

Patrick
Thanks a bunch, but one more question: Why was mine incorrect?

Because n! = (n-2)! (n-1) n

funktion said:
Thanks a bunch, but one more question: Why was mine incorrect?
The numerator in your second step is wrong!
funktion said:
(n-2)!(n+1)!/(n!)²

= (n+1)!/n!
If it reads:
(n - 2)! n! (n + 1) / (n (n - 1) (n - 2)! n!), then it's correct.
Note that:
[tex](n - 2)! \neq (n - 2) (n - 1) n![/tex]
The LHS can be expanded as:
(n - 2) (n - 3) (n - 4) ... 2 . 1
Whereas the RHS is:
n (n - 1)2 (n - 2)2 (n - 3) ... 2 . 1
And of course the LHS is not equal the RHS, right?
Can you get this? :)

Related to Solving Factorial Notation Questions: An Explanation

1. What is factorial notation?

Factorial notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the product of a sequence of consecutive positive integers from 1 to a given number. It is denoted by an exclamation mark (!) after the number, such as 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 24.

2. How is factorial notation useful?

Factorial notation is useful in combinatorics, which is the branch of mathematics that deals with counting and arranging objects. It can also be used to simplify and solve problems involving permutations and combinations.

3. How do you calculate factorials?

To calculate factorials, you simply multiply the given number by all the numbers that come before it, starting from 1. For example, to calculate 5!, you would do 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

4. What are some common mistakes when using factorial notation?

Some common mistakes when using factorial notation include forgetting to include the 1 at the end of the sequence (e.g. 4! = 4 x 3 x 2 x 1, not just 4 x 3 x 2), and confusing factorials with exponents (e.g. 4! is not the same as 4^2).

5. Can you give an example of a factorial notation question and how to solve it?

Example: How many ways can 5 students be seated in a row of 5 chairs?
Solution: This question can be solved using factorial notation, as it involves arranging 5 objects (students) in a row. So, we can use 5! to represent the number of ways. This is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120 ways.