Double pipe heat exchanger sources

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for sources on double pipe heat exchanger design and recommends the book "Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design" by Ramesh K. Shah and Dusan P. Sekulic as an excellent resource for theory, analytical solutions, and empirical correlations related to heat exchanger design, specifically for double-pipe heat exchangers.
sdfgh
hi
I am looking for a complete double pipe heat exchanger thermal and mechanical design. I've found some online sources like this http://scopewe.com/double-pipe-heat-exchanger-design-part-1/ tutorial. and book like process heat transfer by Kern. but I need newer books or online sources.
thanks for any sources in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For anything related to heat exchangers, I would recommend the book "Fundamentals of Heat Exchanger Design" by Ramesh K. Shah and Dusan P. Sekulic. I've found it to be an excellent source for theory, analytical solutions, empirical correlations, etc. related to all kinds of heat exchangers. Specifically, it covers double-pipe heat exchangers in some considerable depth.

1. What is a double pipe heat exchanger?

A double pipe heat exchanger is a type of heat transfer device that is used to transfer thermal energy from one fluid to another. It consists of two concentric pipes, with one fluid flowing through the inner pipe and the other fluid flowing through the outer pipe. The two fluids are in direct contact with each other, allowing for efficient heat transfer between them.

2. How does a double pipe heat exchanger work?

In a double pipe heat exchanger, the hot fluid flows through the inner pipe and transfers its heat to the cooler fluid flowing through the outer pipe. This is achieved through conduction, as the two fluids are in direct contact with each other. The heat is then transferred to the outer surface of the inner pipe, which has a larger surface area, allowing for more efficient heat transfer.

3. What are the advantages of using a double pipe heat exchanger?

One of the main advantages of a double pipe heat exchanger is its compact size, making it suitable for use in small spaces. It also has a simple design, making it easy to manufacture and maintain. Additionally, it allows for a high degree of heat transfer due to the direct contact between the two fluids, resulting in a more efficient transfer of thermal energy.

4. What are the different types of double pipe heat exchangers?

There are three main types of double pipe heat exchangers: parallel-flow, counter-flow, and cross-flow. In a parallel-flow heat exchanger, the two fluids flow in the same direction, while in a counter-flow heat exchanger, they flow in opposite directions. A cross-flow heat exchanger has one fluid flowing perpendicular to the other fluid. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of which one to use depends on the specific application.

5. What are some common applications of double pipe heat exchangers?

Double pipe heat exchangers are commonly used in various industries, including HVAC (heating, ventilation, and air conditioning), chemical processing, and food and beverage production. They are also used in residential and commercial heating and cooling systems, as well as in renewable energy systems such as solar thermal collectors. Double pipe heat exchangers can be used for heating, cooling, or both, and are suitable for a wide range of fluid temperatures and flow rates.