(Slightly OT) Multiple integrals in LaTeX

In summary, using limits to make the limits look okay can help you write your integrals more concisely.
Muzza
How do you make the limits in a triple integral look okay? I need to write something like:

[tex]\iiint_{x \geq 3, y \geq 4, z \geq 5, 2z - x \geq 5} f(x, y, z)\, dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]

but it looks kind of silly right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you use \ limits_{down}^{up} you can get the text 'down' and 'up' above and below the integral signs. Also works for summation symbols.

[tex]\iiint \limits_{x \geq 3, y \geq 4, z \geq 5, 2z - x \geq 5} f(x, y, z)\, dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]

But it still looks crappy. :frown:

I'd advice just writing
[tex]\iiint \limits_{R} f(x, y, z)\, dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]
where
[tex]R=\{(x,y,z)|x \geq 3, y \geq 4, z \geq 5, 2z - x \geq 5\}[/tex]

Last edited:
You're right. I'm probably better off just defining some set S = {(x, y, z); x >= 3, blah} and taking the integral over S.

I'm wondering what in the world you mean! You want to take an integral over [itex]x\ge 3[/itex] but no upper limit on x? That just doesn't make sense.

If you want something like
[tex]\int_{x=3}^{5}\int_{y= 4}^{5- x}\int_{z=5}^{x+ y}f(x,y,z)dzdydx[/tex]
click on the LaTex to see how it is done.

It's an improper integral. But this is all beside the point, I don't actually want to compute this particular integral. It was just an example I pulled out of thin air to illustrate my point.

Last edited:
You should be able to stack the conditions in the limit:

[tex]\iiint \limits_{\substack{x \geq 3,\\ y \geq 4,\\ z \geq 5,\\ 2z - x \geq 5}} f(x, y, z)\, dx\,dy\,dz[/tex]

ok, not very nice as-is, but multiline limits should give more flexibility.

Why not just give each integral sign -- say, the one for the variable x -- a lower limit of 3 and an upper limit of infinity?

- Warren

Again, the limits in my original post were just examples. There are situations where it's difficult or even impossible to write down the iterated integral, hence the need for descriptions like those in my first post.

1. What is a multiple integral?

A multiple integral is an integral with more than one variable. It is used to calculate the volume, area, or other quantities in higher-dimensional spaces.

2. How do I typeset multiple integrals in LaTeX?

To typeset a multiple integral in LaTeX, use the \int command with subscripts and superscripts to indicate the limits of integration. For example, \int_{a}^{b}\int_{c}^{d} f(x,y) dx dy will typeset a double integral with the limits a and b for x and c and d for y.

3. How do I typeset a triple integral in LaTeX?

To typeset a triple integral in LaTeX, use the \iiint command with subscripts and superscripts to indicate the limits of integration. For example, \iiint_{a}^{b}\int_{c}^{d} f(x,y,z) dx dy dz will typeset a triple integral with the limits a and b for x, c and d for y, and no limits for z.

4. Can I typeset multiple integrals with different limits and variables?

Yes, you can typeset multiple integrals with different limits and variables by using nested subscripts and superscripts. For example, \int_{a}^{b}\int_{c}^{d} f(x,y) dx dy will typeset a double integral with the limits a and b for x and c and d for y.

5. Are there any packages or templates available for typesetting multiple integrals in LaTeX?

Yes, there are many packages and templates available for typesetting multiple integrals in LaTeX, such as the amsmath package and the Mathcha online editor. These packages provide additional features and customization options for typesetting multiple integrals.