Is 4th Dimension Time? Exploring the Possibilities

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of the 4th spatial dimension and whether it is equivalent to time. The idea of time being treated as part of a unified 4-dimensional "spacetime" in relativity is mentioned, but there is some debate on whether it should be considered a spatial dimension. A book recommendation for further understanding is also mentioned.
-=Red=-
So do we know for sure what the 4th spatial dimension is? I have read in many places that it is time. I would say this makes sense because we are perceiving time in 3 dimensional slices in our dimension. The same way a 2D being would perceive 2D slivers of a 3D object in its own dimension.

Physics news on Phys.org
-=Red=- said:
So do we know for sure what the 4th spatial dimension is? I have read in many places that it is time. I would say this makes sense because we are perceiving time in 3 dimensional slices in our dimension. The same way a 2D being would perceive 2D slivers of a 3D object in its own dimension.
Time is treated as part of a unified 4-dimensional "spacetime" in relativity (shouldn't this have been posted in the relativity forum?), but for technical reasons I don't think it's quite right to treat it as a fourth spatial dimension, see this thread for some discussion. On your other thread you asked for book recommendations and one I offered was General Relativity from A to B, this is a very good nontechnical introduction to the meaning of "spacetime" and why it makes sense to say that time is treated as a "dimension".

Excellent. I am looking for that book on borders right now. Once again, thanks for the help buddy.

1. What is the fourth dimension?

The fourth dimension is an abstract concept that is often referred to as time. It is the measure of duration or the progression of events in the universe.

2. Is time considered a dimension?

Yes, time is considered the fourth dimension in our three-dimensional world. It is often referred to as the fourth dimension to differentiate it from the three spatial dimensions (length, width, and height).

3. How is the fourth dimension different from the other dimensions?

The fourth dimension, time, is different from the other dimensions because it is not a physical dimension that we can perceive with our senses. It is an abstract concept that we experience through the passage of events.

4. Can we physically travel through the fourth dimension?

No, we cannot physically travel through the fourth dimension. Our perception of time is linear, and we can only move forward in time, never backward or to different points in time.

5. Are there any theories that suggest the fourth dimension is more than just time?

Yes, some theories in physics suggest that there may be more than just time in the fourth dimension. Some propose that there could be multiple timelines or parallel universes existing in the fourth dimension.