Are Equivalent Wave Functions Physically Equivalent in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, In summary, the equivalence relation between wavefunctions is compatible with vector space structure and with the Fourier transform.
burakumin
Hello

I have a problem in understanding wave functions

Let [itex]q \mapsto \phi(q)[/itex] a position wave function for a single particle of mass [itex]m[/itex]

The equivalent momentum wave function is said to be computable with using Fourier transform:
[tex]\psi : p \mapsto \int_q \phi(q) \cdot e^{-i/\hbar \cdot \langle p, q\rangle} \delta^3 q[/tex]
with [itex]\langle , \rangle[/itex] the duality bracket or inner product (depending if you consider duality or not). But I feel unconfortable because technically (if you consider strictly galilean space-time) [itex]q[/itex] is not a vector but a point in an affine space. Turning it into a vector is equivalent to choosing a origin (= injecting non-physical data into my modelisation). Similarly the set of all possible [itex]p[/itex] for my particle is also a affine space. Turning it into a vector is equivalent to choosing a inertial frame (= which again corresponds to non-physical data in my modelisation).

By making explicit those two origins, I can compute:
[tex]\psi_0 : p \mapsto \int_q \phi(q) \cdot e^{-i/\hbar \cdot \langle p - p_0, q - q_0\rangle} \delta^3 q[/tex]
[tex]\psi_1 : p \mapsto \int_q \phi(q) \cdot e^{-i/\hbar \cdot \langle p - p_1, q - q_1\rangle} \delta^3 q[/tex]

And of course [itex]\psi_0 \neq \psi_1[/itex].

But by defining the equivalence relation :
[tex]\psi_A \sim \psi_B \Leftrightarrow \left( \exists p_*, \exists \vec p, \exists \vec q: \psi_A(p) = e^{-i/\hbar \cdot \langle p - p_*, \vec q\rangle} \cdot \psi_B(p + \vec p) \right)[/tex]
we have [itex]\psi_0 \sim \psi_1[/itex].

It seems that [itex]\sim[/itex]-equivalence on (position or momentum) wave functions is compatible with vector space structure and with Fourier transform (though I've not checked for the hermitian product).

So my question is: am I right to consider that two equivalent (position or momentum) wave functions are physically equivalent and that one should not consider the classical Hilbert spaces of position and momentum wave functions but rather their respective quotient spaces by relation [itex]\sim[/itex] ? If true, should I consider an even weaker equivalence relation ?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Of course, all you've 'discovered' is the projective Hilbert space of a quantum system, i.e. the space of (unit) rays on a (complex, separable) Hilbert space, i.e. the space of all pure quantum states. A pure quantum state is thus an equivalence class of vectors.

dextercioby said:
Of course, all you've 'discovered' is the projective Hilbert space of a quantum system, i.e. the space of (unit) rays on a (complex, separable) Hilbert space, i.e. the space of all pure quantum states. A pure quantum state is thus an equivalence class of vectors.

Sorry dextercioby, but even if it's true that generally wavefunctions in the same ray are indeed considered equivalent (I already had this in mind but I wasn't considering this issue to begin with) it is obvious that the equivalence relation I introduced is different from the [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]-colinearity that one uses to create projective spaces.

Actually I was wrong on one point: my relation does not conserve the vector space structure and I feel that it is not a very good candidate. But even if we don't care about the vector space structure, the [itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]-colinearity you're suggesting is still too strong. It separates different wavefunctions that should not be separated for the reason I've explained in my previous message: Fourier transform will match a single position wavelength to non-[itex]\mathbb{C}[/itex]-colinear momentun wavelength depending on how your choose a spatial origin and an inertial frame.

So this means nobody has a clue on how to make quantum mechanics consistant with change of spatial origin or change of inertial frame ?

Hmm, I'm thinking that the affine structure on the parameter space (R, R^2, R^3 for Quantum mechanics done on non-curved manifolds) is implemented in the formalism through the linear unitary (continuous in the norm topology) representations of the translation group, i.e. psi(x) and psi(x-x_0) as ordinary vectors of unit modulus from the respective rays are linked through a unitary operator, if the quantum system admits pure space translations along Ox axis as a symmetry (consequence of theorems by Wigner and Bargmann).

The Fourier transformation takes the ray of psi(x) into the ray of psi(p), inasmuch the ray of psi(p) is mapped into the ray of psi(p-p_0).

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
Hmm, I'm thinking that the affine structure on the parameter space (R, R^2, R^3 for Quantum mechanics done on non-curved manifolds) is implemented in the formalism through the linear unitary (continuous in the norm topology) representations of the translation group, i.e. psi(x) and psi(x-x_0) as ordinary vectors of unit modulus from the respective rays are linked through a unitary operator, if the quantum system admits pure space translations along Ox axis as a symmetry (consequence of theorems by Wigner and Bargmann).

Right, I'm only considering stricty non-relativistic quantum mechanics on flat spacetime manifold. I don't know anything about Wigner and Bargmann theorems but the sole information I can find when I'm using those two names as keywords deals with relativistic wave equations. So what are you referring to ? Any reference ?

dextercioby said:
The Fourier transformation takes the ray of psi(x) into the ray of psi(p), inasmuch the ray of psi(p) is mapped into the ray of psi(p-p_0).

Sorry but this is not very clear. I still don't see where or why the formalism allow to think about the functions [itex]\psi_0[/itex] and [itex]\psi_1[/itex] defined in my first message as valid representations of the same object.

1. What is meant by the equivalence of wave functions?

The equivalence of wave functions refers to the concept that two or more different wave functions can describe the same physical system. This means that although the mathematical expressions of these wave functions may appear different, they yield the same physical predictions and behaviors.

2. How is the equivalence of wave functions demonstrated?

The equivalence of wave functions can be demonstrated through mathematical proofs and experiments. The most common approach is to show that the two wave functions produce the same expectation values for physical observables such as energy or momentum.

3. What is the significance of the equivalence of wave functions?

The equivalence of wave functions is significant because it allows for different mathematical representations of a physical system, making it easier to solve complex problems. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of quantum mechanics and the relationship between different wave functions.

4. Are all wave functions equivalent?

No, not all wave functions are equivalent. The equivalence of wave functions only applies to those that describe the same physical system and produce the same predictions for observables. Different systems or different states of the same system may have non-equivalent wave functions.

5. How does the principle of superposition relate to the equivalence of wave functions?

The principle of superposition states that the overall wave function of a system can be expressed as a linear combination of individual wave functions. This principle is related to the equivalence of wave functions because it allows for the possibility of different wave functions representing the same system, as long as they can be expressed as a linear combination of each other.