How does the brightness of a light bulb change in a potential divider circuit?

• Thread starter lilhaz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a 12V battery, a variable potential divider with a maximum resistance of 50 ohms, and a 12V light bulb connected between the sliding contact and the negative terminal of the potential divider. The question asks how the brightness of the light bulb changes when the sliding contact is moved from the negative to positive terminal. The missing element of the resistance of the bulb is mentioned, and the person is advised to understand how the variable potential divider works and how it is connected in order to determine the effect on the brightness of the bulb.
lilhaz
the question reads...
" A 12V battery, of negligible internal resistance is connected to the fixed terminals of a variable potential divider, which has a maximum resistance of 50 ohms. a 12V light bulb is connected between the sliding contact and the negative terminal of the potential divider. sketh the circuit diagram and describe how the brightness of the light bulb changes when the sliding contact is moved from the negative to positive terminal of the potential divider.

any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculate the current through the bulb by solving the circuit...
But there's an element missing: the resistance of the bulb.

OK, do you know what the variable potential divider does and how it is hooked up? If you do, you should understand what variable in the circuit will be altered as you slide the contact of the divider. Knowing this, you will know how the potential available to the bulb changes, and what effect this has on the brightness of the bulb. Give it a shot and report back.

Last edited:

1. What does "due tomorrow" mean?

"Due tomorrow" means that the assigned task or project is expected to be completed and turned in by the end of the day tomorrow. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively in order to meet the deadline.

2. Can I get an extension for "due tomorrow"?

It depends on the specific situation and the person in charge of the assignment. It is best to communicate with your teacher or supervisor as soon as possible and provide a valid reason for requesting an extension. However, it is always best to complete tasks on time to avoid any potential consequences.

3. What if I don't understand the task that is "due tomorrow"?

If you have any questions or uncertainties about the assignment, it is important to reach out to your teacher or supervisor for clarification. It is better to ask for help and have a clear understanding of the task than to submit incomplete or incorrect work.

4. How do I manage my time effectively for tasks that are "due tomorrow"?

It is important to prioritize your tasks and create a schedule or to-do list. Break down the assignment into smaller, manageable tasks and allocate time for each one. Avoid procrastination and stay focused on the task at hand. It can also be helpful to eliminate distractions and work in a quiet environment.

5. What should I do if I am unable to complete the task that is "due tomorrow"?

If you are unable to complete the task, it is important to communicate with your teacher or supervisor as soon as possible and explain the situation. They may be able to offer an extension or alternative solution. However, it is always best to prioritize and manage your time effectively to avoid missing deadlines.