Help Finding Textbook for Ordinary Differential Equations

In summary, the conversation is about the search for a good ordinary differential equations text. The participants recommend the Dover text by Tenenbaum and Pollard as a useful reference, particularly for solving specific types of ODEs and using specific methods. They also mention the Boyce and DiPrima text as a good introductory text, although it may be too wordy for some. The conversation also suggests moving the discussion to the "Book Recommendations" section.
trajan22
Hey all, I was hoping someone would be able to point me at a good ordinary differential equations text. Basically right now I have been working out of 'ordinary differential equations" by boyce and brannon. but I am fed up with the book and really would just like a good book to be used as a reference. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're looking for a reference, try the Dover text by Tenenbaum and Pollard (called Ordinary Differential Equations). It's well organized as a reference for solving specific types of ODEs and using specific methods, as well as having proofs and motivations.

As the man said, Tenenbaum and Pollard is excellent as a reference, and is probably quite good for learning if you're sharper than I am.

I learned ODEs from the Boyce and DiPrima text and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Boyce and DiPrima is good intro to ODEs. Its rather wordy and I like that.

trajan22 said:
Hey all, I was hoping someone would be able to point me at a good ordinary differential equations text. Basically right now I have been working out of 'ordinary differential equations" by boyce and brannon. but I am fed up with the book and really would just like a good book to be used as a reference. Does anyone have any recommendations?

We had this discussion just a few weeks ago! (Try the "search" button.)

Is it too late to suggest moving this thread to "Book Recommendations"?

Last edited:

What are ordinary differential equations and why are they important?

Ordinary differential equations (ODEs) are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are important because they are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and motion.

Where can I find a textbook for ordinary differential equations?

There are many textbooks available for ordinary differential equations, both online and in print. Some popular options include "Elementary Differential Equations" by Boyce and DiPrima, "Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes" by Simmons, and "Ordinary Differential Equations" by Tenenbaum and Pollard. You can also check with your local library or university bookstore for recommendations.

What should I look for in a textbook for ordinary differential equations?

When choosing a textbook for ODEs, it is important to consider the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, and the inclusion of relevant examples and exercises. Additionally, make sure the textbook covers the specific topics you need and includes solutions to practice problems.

Are there any online resources for learning about ordinary differential equations?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning about ODEs. Some options include online courses, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. You can also find practice problems and solutions online to supplement your textbook learning.

How can I effectively study and understand ordinary differential equations?

It is important to have a solid foundation in calculus before studying ODEs. Additionally, practice solving problems regularly and seek help from a tutor, professor, or study group if needed. Make sure to also review and understand the concepts and theorems presented in your textbook.