Making photos under the water with common camera

In summary, it is possible to take photos underwater with a common camera. The distance scale on the lens and the focal length (angle of view) will be wrong, but everything, including autofocus will work. If water gets into the camera, it will likely ruin the film or short out the electronics, or both.
exponent137
Making photos under the water with common camera.
Is this possible. Or this need different optics.

Physics news on Phys.org
You generaly need air in front of the lens but the waterproof housing to protect the rest of the camera will provide this.
The distance scale on the lens and the focal length (angle of view) will be wrong but otherwise everything, including autofocus will work.

edit everything is very blue which might confuses the auto-white balance on digital cameras.

Other than keeping the camera water-tight, the camera will work perfectly fine in and out of water.

And what happens if water is touching lens (so no air it is in front of the lens, so it is not water-tight). Is it possible to do photos?

I do not understand this sentence (I am not native speaker):
"Other than keeping the camera water-tight, the camera will work perfectly fine in and out of water."

Last edited:
If water gets into the camera, it will likely ruin the film or short out the electronics, or both.

If you conformal coat the camera with something like RTV or PDMS, it will still take photos underwater.

The problem is more theoretical. How contact water-lens impact on optical properties of camera. Is it possible to correct them with setting of distance?

exponent137 said:
And what happens if water is touching lens (so no air it is in front of the lens, so it is not water-tight). Is it possible to do photos?

In that case the front element of the lens will have almost no optical power.
The lens elements bend light because of the difference in refractive index between air (1) and glass (around 1.5), if you replace air with water (1.33) the difference in refractive index is much less and the bending power of the lens is reduced by 75-80%.

It depends on the design of the lens but generally most of the optical power is in the front surface of the first element (especially in wide angle camera lenses) so I wouldn't expect most lenses to produce an image.
notes - an element is each individual piece of glass, the lens is the whole assembly.

It is possible to design lenses that assume the front element is in water but for underwater cameras it is easier to just put a flat water proof filter in front - being flat it has no optical power anyway - so nothing changes.

BTW, I meant to jump in here earlier, but we have had power interruptions. There are "universal" plastic camera bags that are waterproof and have a threaded optical flat on the front. As long as you can actuate your camera's controls through the plastic, you're good to go. Depending on the model of camera (and it's good if its a popular and long-running series of cameras from a popular maker), you can also find custom-fit hard plastic waterproof housings for your camera with sealed external control-buttons.

Google is your friend "waterproof camera housing"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=waterproof+camera+housings&aq=0&oq=waterproof+camera+housing

mgb_phys said:
In that case the front element of the lens will have almost no optical power.
The lens elements bend light because of the difference in refractive index between air (1) and glass (around 1.5), if you replace air with water (1.33) the difference in refractive index is much less and the bending power of the lens is reduced by 75-80%.

It depends on the design of the lens but generally most of the optical power is in the front surface of the first element (especially in wide angle camera lenses) so I wouldn't expect most lenses to produce an image.

So, do you think that distance correction also cannot improve picture? What type of picture we get, blurred, nothing or something else?
regards

1. Can I use a regular camera to take photos underwater?

Yes, you can use a regular camera to take photos underwater. However, you will need to make sure it is waterproof or has a waterproof housing to protect it from water damage.

2. Do I need any special equipment for underwater photography?

In addition to a waterproof camera or housing, you may also want to consider using a dome port, underwater strobes or lights, and a tripod or stabilizing device to help capture clear and steady shots.

3. How do I prevent my photos from appearing blurry or distorted underwater?

To avoid blurry or distorted photos underwater, make sure to use a fast shutter speed and a wide aperture. Also, try to stay as still as possible, or use a tripod or other stabilizing device, and make sure to clean any water droplets from the lens before taking the photo.

4. Can I use filters for underwater photography?

Yes, you can use filters for underwater photography. Filters can help enhance colors and reduce the blue-green color cast caused by the water. However, make sure to use filters specifically designed for underwater use and to adjust your white balance accordingly.

5. How can I protect my camera from water damage while taking photos underwater?

In addition to using a waterproof camera or housing, you can also consider using a wrist strap or floatation device to prevent your camera from sinking or getting lost in the water. Furthermore, make sure to rinse your camera and housing with fresh water after each use and properly dry them before storing to prevent any salt or mineral build-up.