Saw this at work -- an air bubble trapped right under the water stream

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible air bubble trapped under a stream of water, which sustained itself for a couple minutes before collapsing. The participants are not surprised by this and mention seeing similar occurrences before, possibly due to the venturi effect or surface tension.
Shasokias
Not really sure what's happening here, did a short search online to see if anyone else has documented this before.

(If it's not clear from the photo, there seems to be a air bubble trapped right under the stream)

It sustained itself for a couple minutes, took a short video of it too before it collapsed can't seem to recreate it by adjusting water flow.

Attachments

• 20170216_150948.jpg
    20170216_150948.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 552
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't find that the least bit surprizing. I can't give you a physics explanation but it is not particularly rare.

Likes davenn
Shasokias said:
It sustained itself for a couple minutes, took a short video of it too before it collapsed can't seem to recreate it by adjusting water flow.

phinds said:
I don't find that the least bit surprizing. I can't give you a physics explanation but it is not particularly rare.

likewise have seen it often ... kitchen tap etc

Tho, like phinds, I am not sure of the process, it reminds me of the venturi effect (?) you see with a balloon over a nozzle that air is coming out of

Surface tension.

What causes air bubbles to get trapped under a water stream?

Air bubbles can get trapped under a water stream due to surface tension, which causes the water molecules to stick together and create a barrier that prevents the air from escaping.

How does the presence of air bubbles affect the flow of water?

Air bubbles can disrupt the smooth flow of water by creating turbulence and altering the pressure of the stream. This can impact the accuracy of measurements or the effectiveness of water-based systems.

Can trapped air bubbles affect the quality of water?

In some cases, yes. Trapped air bubbles can carry contaminants or impurities from the surrounding air into the water, potentially affecting its purity or pH level.

Is it possible to prevent air bubbles from getting trapped under a water stream?

Yes, there are several techniques that can be used to reduce the likelihood of air bubbles getting trapped under a water stream. These include adjusting the flow rate, using specialized equipment such as air eliminators, and ensuring proper ventilation in the surrounding environment.

Are there any practical applications for studying air bubbles trapped under a water stream?

Yes, understanding the behavior of air bubbles in water streams is important in fields such as fluid dynamics, water filtration, and water quality testing. It can also have practical applications in industries such as wastewater treatment and oil and gas production.