Meaning of the square root and its contradiction

In summary: The correct definition is that f(a) is a unique set.No!In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of square root as a function and its application in complex numbers. It is mentioned that the square root function is not single-valued in complex numbers, leading to a contradiction when compared to the definition of absolute value. The correct identity for complex numbers is also mentioned. Additionally, the definition of "function" for real numbers is different from that of complex numbers.
kntsy
Is square root a function in this way?

[tex]f:\mathbb C\rightarrow\mathbb R^+[/tex]

However contradiction can be drawn:[tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\text{ and } i^2=-1[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{-1}=\sqrt{i^2}=|i|=1[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-1}=1[/tex] ??What is the problem in the definition or the deduction?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
kntsy said:
Is square root a function in this way?

[tex]f:\mathbb C\rightarrow\mathbb R^+[/tex]
No, it's not- the square root function is from [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb C[/itex]. And functions, on the complex numbers, are not in general "single valued".

However contradiction can be drawn:

[tex]\sqrt{x^2}=|x|\text{ and } i^2=-1[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{-1}=\sqrt{i^2}=|i|=1[/tex]
[tex]\sqrt{-1}=1[/tex] ??

What is the problem in the definition or the deduction?
The problem is with your definition, which is wrong.

HallsofIvy said:
No, it's not- the square root function is from [itex]\mathbb C[/itex] to [itex]\mathbb C[/itex]. And functions, on the complex numbers, are not in general "single valued".

That's a quite narrow view. It might not be the most mathematically useful way, but you might as well define Sqrt to be the principal value. Just as some people use Ln() instead of ln(). This makes writing out equations much easier because you have actual functions.

In this case the answer to the question is
[tex]\sqrt{x^2}\neq |x|[/tex]
for complex numbers!

HallsofIvy said:
What does it mean for function not being single-valued? Does it violate the definition of function?
Gerenuk said:
In this case the answer to the question is
[tex]\sqrt{x^2}\neq |x|[/tex]
for complex numbers!

Is it due to the definition of absolute value on complex number?

Is it due to the definition of absolute value on complex number?

I suppose you could say that. A very important identity for complex numbers is [tex]x \bar{ x } = | x |^2[/tex], so the correct identity relating square roots and absolute value (usually called modulus when extended to complex numbers) is [tex]| x | = \sqrt{ x \bar{ x } }.[/tex] The reason that you're familiar with the identity [tex]| x | = \sqrt{ x^2 }[/tex] for real numbers is that for a real number x, [tex]x=\bar{x}[/tex], so [tex]x\bar{x}=x^2[/tex].

The definition of "function" for real numbers requires that f(a) be a unique number. To use Gerunuk's phrase, that is too "narrow" a view for complex numbers.

1. What is the meaning of the square root?

The square root of a number is a value that, when multiplied by itself, gives the original number. For example, the square root of 9 is 3 because 3 multiplied by itself equals 9. It is denoted by the symbol √ and is the inverse operation of squaring a number.

2. How is the square root related to the concept of contradiction?

The concept of contradiction arises when a mathematical statement or equation leads to an impossible or illogical result. In the case of the square root, it is a contradiction when taking the square root of a negative number. This is because there is no real number that, when multiplied by itself, will give a negative result.

3. What is the difference between a positive and a negative square root?

When taking the square root of a positive number, there are always two possible solutions - a positive and a negative value. For example, the square root of 4 is both 2 and -2. However, when taking the square root of a negative number, there are no real solutions, as mentioned before.

4. How is the square root used in real life?

The concept of square root is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance. For example, in physics, it is used to calculate the magnitude of a vector, while in finance, it is used to calculate compound interest. It is also used in construction to determine the length of the sides of a square or rectangle.

5. Are there any other operations that are related to the square root?

Yes, there are two other operations that are related to the square root - the cube root and the nth root. The cube root is the inverse operation of cubing a number, while the nth root is the inverse operation of raising a number to the nth power. Both of these are similar to the square root in that they give a value that, when multiplied by itself a certain number of times, will result in the original number.