Magnetic flux through a coil. Field generated by a straight conductor.

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the magnetic flux through a triangle near a long straight conductor with a current of 50A. The approach is to integrate to find the magnetic field strength at the triangle and then multiply it by the area to obtain the flux. The formula for the magnetic flux density at a distance 'a' from the wire is given as B = μI/2πa. The correct answer is 7.7*10^-8 Wb, which can be calculated by applying this formula to the area of the triangle. The person involved admits to being rusty on integration, but suggests that it can be applied to the area of the triangle to find the desired result.
Biktor
Hi! I'm stuck on a problem concerning the magnetic field produced by a long straight conductor:

A triangular piece of conductor (N=1) rests in the vicinity of a long straight conductor with a current I=50A. What is the magnetic flux through the triangle if a=1cm? (See attached file).

My approach was to try to integrate to find how the field from the conductor varies with distance to be able to find the field's strength in that triangle and then multiply it with the area to get the flux, but I'm getting it all wrong.

Is there any general approach to this kind of problem?

The correct answer is 7.7*10^-8 Wb.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Current.png
    Current.png
    439 bytes · Views: 632
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are correct in the need to integrate to find the flux through the triangle.
The main piece of information that I can give is that the magnetic flux density (B) at a distance 'a' from a long straight wire is given by:

B = μI/2πa

I am rusty on integration ! but if you can apply this to the area of the triangle it should help
I calculate that B at a distance a=1cm from the wire is 1 x 10^-3T
and B at a distance of 2a = 0.5 x 10^-3T

I have forgotten how to integrate over the area of the triangle... sorry

1. What is magnetic flux?

Magnetic flux is a measure of the quantity of magnetic field passing through a given area. It is represented by the symbol Φ and is measured in units of Weber (Wb) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is magnetic flux through a coil calculated?

The magnetic flux through a coil can be calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic field by the area of the coil that is perpendicular to the field. This is represented by the equation Φ = B x A, where B is the magnetic field strength and A is the area of the coil.

3. What is the significance of magnetic flux through a coil in electricity and magnetism?

The magnetic flux through a coil is an important concept in electricity and magnetism because it helps to explain the relationship between electric currents and magnetic fields. When an electric current passes through a coil, it generates a magnetic field, and the strength of this field is directly proportional to the amount of magnetic flux passing through the coil.

4. How is the field generated by a straight conductor?

The field generated by a straight conductor is created by the flow of electric current through the conductor. When an electric current flows through a conductor, it creates a magnetic field around the conductor that is perpendicular to the direction of the current. The strength of the field is directly proportional to the current flowing through the conductor.

5. How does the magnetic flux through a coil change when the strength of the magnetic field or the area of the coil is altered?

The magnetic flux through a coil is directly proportional to both the strength of the magnetic field and the area of the coil. This means that if either the field strength or the area of the coil is increased or decreased, the magnetic flux will also change accordingly. For example, if the field strength is doubled, the magnetic flux through the coil will also double.