Maple gives plot inconsistent with equation

• Maple
  • Thread starter graupner1000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Maple Plot
In summary, the forum poster is seeking help with a calculation issue in Maple. They have been struggling with the problem for eight hours and are frustrated with the unexpected results. The function they are using needs to have its imaginary part equal to zero, but when plotted, it shows a graph that does not match their expectations. They have uploaded a picture of the graph and screenshots of the function they are using. They are seeking input and assistance to resolve the issue. Suggestions include checking for errors, specifying the range of values for the independent variable, checking for software updates, and keeping organized records of calculations.
graupner1000
Hi,

OK, its night, I've been in front of this computer for eight hours and am slowly but surely going insane, not least because of the latest in a series of issues in what, I was hoping, would be a straightforward calculation.

So here it goes:

Basically I'm using Maple to conduct what would otherwise be a rather lengthy and not at all pretty calculation. This is supposed to end with determining the imaginary part of the resulting function which will, providing all goes well, be equal to 0. And, using simplify(evalc(Im(f(t))), where f(t) is the function I have spent the weekend finding, this is indeed the case. HOWEVER, when I now go to plot the imaginary part using plot(Im(f(t))), I get a graph that looks like an ekg during a cardiac arrest (that is to say it isn't showing anything that lokes like a function that equals zero).

So now the obvious question: WHY?

Also its probably worth mentioning that in order to get zero it is necessary to use simplify(evalc(Im(f(t))) and just evalc(Im(f(t)) which gives an answer that is not zero.

I have uploaded I picture of the graph and some screenshots of the function I am using(like I said, it isn't pretty).

I would really appreciate some input and be eternal grateful for any kind of help.

Attachments

• MapleGraph.jpg
    MapleGraph.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 494
  • withoutSimplify.jpg
    withoutSimplify.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 453
  • withSimplify.jpg
    withSimplify.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for reaching out for help with your calculation issue. I can understand the frustration and exhaustion that comes with spending hours in front of a computer trying to solve a problem. I would like to offer some suggestions that may help you with your current situation.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that your calculations are accurate and error-free. Double check your inputs and equations to ensure that there are no mistakes. Sometimes even a small typo can cause a major issue in the final result.

Secondly, when plotting a function, it is important to specify the range of values for the independent variable. Make sure that the range you have chosen is appropriate for the function you are trying to plot. It is also helpful to use different colors or styles for the real and imaginary parts of the function to clearly distinguish them in the graph.

Thirdly, it is possible that there may be a bug in the software you are using. I would suggest checking for updates or trying a different software to see if you get the same result. It may also be helpful to consult with other experts in the field or reach out to the Maple support team for assistance.

Lastly, it is important to keep a clear and organized record of your calculations. This will not only help you in identifying any mistakes but also serve as a reference for future calculations.

In conclusion, I hope these suggestions will help you in resolving your issue. Remember to take breaks and rest your mind when needed. Good luck with your calculation and don't hesitate to reach out for help if needed. Keep up the good work!

1. Why is Maple giving me a plot that is inconsistent with my equation?

There could be several reasons for this. One possibility is that there may be an error in your equation, causing the plot to be incorrect. Another possibility is that you may have entered the equation incorrectly into Maple. It's also possible that the plot settings or parameters are not appropriate for your equation, resulting in an inconsistent plot.

2. How can I troubleshoot this issue with Maple?

First, double check your equation to make sure it is correct. Then, try changing the plot settings or parameters to see if that affects the consistency of the plot. You can also try re-entering the equation into Maple to ensure it was input correctly. If the issue persists, consult Maple's documentation or seek help from a Maple expert.

3. Is there a way to adjust the plot so it matches my equation?

Yes, you can adjust the plot settings and parameters to get a more accurate representation of your equation. This may involve changing the x and y-axis ranges, the number of data points, or the type of plot (e.g. line, scatter, etc.). Experimenting with these settings can help you achieve the desired plot.

4. Could I be using the wrong version of Maple?

It's possible that you may be using an outdated version of Maple, which could be causing inconsistencies with your plot. Make sure you have the latest version of Maple installed, or check Maple's release notes to see if there are any known issues with your version that could be affecting the plot.

5. Is there a way to get more accurate plots from Maple?

Yes, there are several ways to improve the accuracy of your plots in Maple. You can increase the number of data points, adjust the plot settings, or use more advanced plotting techniques such as interpolation or smoothing. You can also try using different types of plots to see which one best represents your equation.