Problems with plotting a function in Maple

In summary, the software is notPlotting this...What I get isHowever if I don't define my axis, Maple yields the following:This is fine, except I would like x to go from 0 to 100 and y to go from 0 to 2E96 (which when computed by hand yields actual results close to the boundaries of that range). However if I manually go into the axes definition of the image above, and change it to the desired values, I get:So the plot is not defined at any value outside of whatever Maple decided it should be: I can only change the axes values but not the range and domain of the actual function.. any ideas?
EdisT
Hey so I'm working on a simulation to compute the multiplicity of two Einstein solids.. long story short I'm having a tough time plotting a function. To start, I defined the following:

upload_2016-3-4_3-1-5.png

upload_2016-3-4_3-1-34.png

Which, when simplified yields:
upload_2016-3-4_3-1-44.png

I named this simplified result K:
upload_2016-3-4_3-2-47.png

Plotting this...
upload_2016-3-4_3-3-20.png

What I get is
upload_2016-3-4_3-3-58.png

However if I don't define my axis, Maple yields the following:

upload_2016-3-4_3-4-45.png

This is fine, except I would like x to go from 0 to 100 and y to go from 0 to 2E96 (which when computed by hand yields actual results close to the boundaries of that range). However if I manually go into the axes definition of the image above, and change it to the desired values, I get:

upload_2016-3-4_3-8-17.png

So the plot is not defined at any value outside of whatever Maple decided it should be: I can only change the axes values but not the range and domain of the actual function.. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try plotting it using smaller constants just to see if its the function itself somehow.

It may be that even a small increment in x is either 0 or skyrockets way beyond the range limits hence you see no plot line. Can you change the plot line color that way you would see the line drawn over the x-axis until it takes off toward the moon.

Or can you zoom into the plot that is made until you've reached the domain and range you want. You''ll probably find the same result and that the software is working as designed.

Also have you tried it in MATLAB? Its pretty good about plotting things.

Last edited:
I ended up plotting in Mathematica after starting from MATLAB (which didn't work because it approximates infinity at around 7E96 I think, and even when I divided it by 1E96 it would first calculate the factorial, approximate it to infinity, then say infinity divided by a large-ish number is "NaN"). Then I tried to plot it with Maple.. didn't work because of it's approximation of infinity. Tried to do it in Python .. same reason. Ended with Mathematica.. it works wonders :D

1. What are some common errors encountered when plotting a function in Maple?

Some common errors include incorrect syntax or missing brackets in the function, using undefined variables, and attempting to plot a function that is not continuous or has asymptotes.

2. How do I plot a function with multiple variables in Maple?

To plot a function with multiple variables, you can use the "plot3d" command and specify the range for each variable. For example, to plot the function f(x,y) = x^2 + y^2, you can use the command "plot3d(x^2 + y^2, x = -5..5, y = -5..5)".

3. Can I customize the appearance of my plot in Maple?

Yes, Maple offers various options for customizing the appearance of your plot, such as changing the color, style, and thickness of the lines, adding labels and titles, and adjusting the scale of the axes. You can use the "style" and "label" commands to make these changes.

4. How do I plot a function with multiple graphs in Maple?

To plot multiple graphs in Maple, you can use the "plot" command and specify each function separated by a comma. For example, to plot the functions f(x) = x^2 and g(x) = x^3, you can use the command "plot(x^2, x^3)". You can also add a legend to differentiate between the graphs, using the "legend" option.

5. Can I export my plot from Maple to another program or file?

Yes, Maple allows you to export your plot in various formats, such as JPEG, PDF, or SVG. You can use the "exportplot" command and specify the desired format. You can also copy and paste your plot into another program, such as Microsoft Word or Excel.