Power of higher order mode beam

In summary, the conversation discussed evaluating the ratio of power within a circle of radius W(z) in the transverse plane to the total power in Hermite-Gaussian beams of order (1,0). The integral was initially done in polar coordinates, but was then converted to Cartesian coordinates for easier evaluation.
semc

Homework Statement

Evaluate the ratio of the power contained within a circle of radius W(z) in the transverse plane to the total power in the Hermite-Gaussian beams of order (1,0)

Homework Equations

P=[itex]\int[/itex]IdA

The Attempt at a Solution

I have determined the ratio for the Gaussian beam but the higher order modes have a extra 'x' or 'y' in the integral but I am integrating w.r.t r (r2=x2+y2). So how can I evaluate the integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why don't you integrate in Decartes coordinates x and y? Because, if I understood correctly, then the integral is can be represented as
[itex]\int^{W(z)}_{0} x*e^{-x^2}dx \int^{\sqrt{W(z)^2-x^2}}_{0}y*e^{-y^2}dy [/itex]
this is only a quarter of the full energy of course.

Last edited:
I don't understand what is Decartes coordinates but I managed to solve it. Its simply x=rcos[itex]\vartheta[/itex]. Have no idea why I didn't think of that when I posted this. Thanks

What is a higher order mode beam?

A higher order mode beam is a type of electromagnetic radiation that has multiple modes or patterns of oscillation. These modes are characterized by the number of nodes and antinodes in the beam's intensity profile.

What is the significance of the power of higher order mode beams?

The power of higher order mode beams is significant because it affects the properties and behavior of the beam. Higher order modes have a higher power density, which can be beneficial for certain applications such as laser cutting and drilling.

How is the power of higher order mode beams measured?

The power of higher order mode beams is typically measured using a power meter that is calibrated for the specific wavelength of the beam. The power meter measures the intensity of the beam at a specific point and calculates the total power based on the beam's size and shape.

What factors can affect the power of higher order mode beams?

Several factors can affect the power of higher order mode beams, including the input power, beam quality, and beam shape. Additionally, the medium through which the beam travels and any obstructions in its path can also impact its power.

What are the applications of higher order mode beams?

Higher order mode beams have a variety of applications, including laser materials processing, microscopy, and telecommunications. They are also used in research and development for studying the properties of light and testing new technologies.