Why aren't u, c, and t quarks a mixture of mass eigenstates?

In summary, the mixing of mass eigenstates for down-type quarks is not the same as for up-type quarks.
MarekS
Weak eigenstates d', s', b' are a mixture of mass eigenstates. For example,
s'=V_cd*d+V_cs*s+V_cb*b

This doesn't seem to be the case for u, c, t quarks. For example, there is no
c'=V_su*u+V_sc*c+V_st*t

Why is that?

Physics news on Phys.org
From a purely practical or phenomenological point of view, the CKM matrix elements are useful, for example, for making predictions on decay rates (if someone who knows more about QFT than me -- which is probably most people on this forum -- wants to chime in from that side of things, please do). If you have some decay that proceeds via the weak interaction, you take your QED calculation for the decay rate and multiply by the square of the CKM matrix element for that interaction to get the actual rate. For the decays that always involve a coupling between one down-type quark and one up-type quark, you can use the CKM matrix element regardless of which way the decay is going (from up-type to down-type, or vice versa). So you only need to create this mixing for one of the two sets (up-type or down-type) to explain measured decay rates. Why it was chosen to be the down-type and not the up-type quarks is quite arbitrary; it could have been done in reverse, but that's not the convention.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, V_ud (say) can be used in both directions, so a CKM matrix that transforms u, c, t to u', c', t' would contain the same elements as a d,s,b one and hence be superfluous.

However, the weak force sees a down-type quark as a linear superposition of down-type quarks. Does it then see an up-type quark as a linear superposition of up-type quarks?

MarekS said:
Thanks for the reply.

Yes, V_ud (say) can be used in both directions, so a CKM matrix that transforms u, c, t to u', c', t' would contain the same elements as a d,s,b one and hence be superfluous.

However, the weak force sees a down-type quark as a linear superposition of down-type quarks. Does it then see an up-type quark as a linear superposition of up-type quarks?

In the language of CKM, no. What would be correct to say is that what we previously called any given down-type quark is itself a superposition of the d, s, b quarks, and this affects decays in both directions. You can either have up-type quarks be a linear superposition of u, c, t or down-type quarks be a linear superposition of d, s, b, but not both (at least, not without changing the CKM framework).

Steely Dan said:
You can either have up-type quarks be a linear superposition of u, c, t or down-type quarks be a linear superposition of d, s, b, but not both (at least, not without changing the CKM framework).

I can't see why I can't have both. Also, I don't actually understand why a down-type quark is a linear superposition of down-type quarks when the interaction takes from a down-type quark to an up-type quark (and vice versa). I think it would make sense for an up-type quark to be a linear superposition of down-type quarks. For instance,

u'=V_ud*d+V_us*s+V_ub*b

Then, in a weak interaction, the up quark, u', changes to a d, s, or b because it can as it is part d, s, and b.

MarekS said:
I can't see why I can't have both. Also, I don't actually understand why a down-type quark is a linear superposition of down-type quarks when the interaction takes from a down-type quark to an up-type quark (and vice versa). I think it would make sense for an up-type quark to be a linear superposition of down-type quarks. For instance,

u'=V_ud*d+V_us*s+V_ub*b

Then, in a weak interaction, the up quark, u', changes to a d, s, or b because it can as it is part d, s, and b.

Never mind. I thought this through and I understand now. Thanks for your help.

1. What is the CKM matrix?

The CKM (Cabibbo-Kobayashi-Maskawa) matrix is a unitary matrix used in the Standard Model of particle physics to describe the mixing of quark flavors. It relates the weak eigenstates of the up, down, and strange quarks to the mass eigenstates, and it is an important factor in understanding the behavior of quarks in interactions involving the weak force.

2. What are the weak eigenstates?

The weak eigenstates are the up, down, and strange quarks, which are the three lightest of the six known quarks. They are called eigenstates because they are the states in which the quarks have definite masses and charge, and they are the states that are used to describe the behavior of quarks in interactions involving the weak force.

3. How does the CKM matrix relate to CP violation?

The CKM matrix is responsible for CP (charge-parity) violation, an important phenomenon in particle physics where a particle and its antiparticle behave differently. The matrix contains complex phases that cause the weak interactions to violate CP symmetry, which is a fundamental symmetry of the Standard Model.

4. How is the CKM matrix experimentally determined?

The elements of the CKM matrix are determined through measurements of various particle decays and interactions, such as B meson decays. These measurements are then used to fit the parameters of the matrix, which can then be used to predict the outcomes of other decays and interactions.

5. Are there any extensions or modifications to the CKM matrix?

Yes, there are several proposed extensions to the CKM matrix, such as the 3-3-1 model and the Minimal Supersymmetric Standard Model (MSSM). These extensions introduce additional quarks and/or new physics beyond the Standard Model, and they aim to explain some of the unresolved questions in particle physics, such as the origin of matter-antimatter asymmetry.