When exactly light started its journey away from a supernova?

In summary, according to the article, when media reports a supernova it sounds like it happened just a while ago despite the photon stream came from say 10 million light-years away. However, the supernova actually happened 10 million years ago due to the time it took for its light to reach us.
Romulo Binuya
When media reports a supernova it sounds like it happened just a while ago despite the photon stream came from say 10 million light-years away. Is it approximately correct to tell the layman that actually that supernova happened 10 million years ago because it took that time for its light to reach us? I like to include time dilation and length contraction in the calculation of when exactly light started its journey away from a supernova. Unfortunately, I don't know yet how to calculate that :-D

Physics news on Phys.org
Romulo Binuya said:
When media reports a supernova it sounds like it happened just a while ago despite the photon stream came from say 10 million light-years away. Is it approximately correct to tell the layman that actually that supernova happened 10 million years ago because it took that time for its light to reach us?
yes.

I like to include time dilation and length contraction in the calculation of when exactly light started its journey away from a supernova. Unfortunately, I don't know yet how to calculate that.

You don't need to consider either - they aren't involved in this problem.

Nugatory said:
You don't need to consider either - they aren't involved in this problem.
At least for nearby ones, which aren't moving fast wrt us.

Well, presumably a reporter on Earth would report on events wrt Earth's frame, so even for a relativistically moving star you wouldn't need to worry about length contraction and time dilation. After all, reporters rarely bother to report both sides of a story.

Someone in the web explained time dilation and length contraction, and he said "A journey to the 4.3 light-years distant Alpha Centauri C, the closest star to our Sun, would take only 7.4 months in a spaceship moving at 0.99c". Since he didn't show the calculation and I don't know yet how to do it myself, my judgement is deferred.

Romulo Binuya said:
Someone in the web explained time dilation and length contraction, and he said "A journey to the 4.3 light-years distant Alpha Centauri C, the closest star to our Sun, would take only 7.4 months in a spaceship moving at 0.99c". Since he didn't show the calculation and I don't know yet how to do it myself, my judgement is deferred.

Your judgement about WHAT? This has nothing to do with your question, as nugatory has already stated.

I agree with Nugatory, that's what I've been telling the kids, that if the photon stream of a supernova came from 10 million light-years away then that supernova happened 10 million years ago. But that guy who thrown in time dilation and length contraction in the equation made me worried that I might misleading the kids.

Romulo Binuya said:
The calculations are based on the Lorentz Transformation. I have drawn a couple spacetime diagrams to show you the results. First a diagram showing Earth as the thick blue line with dots spaced one year apart, Alpha Centauri C as the thick red line 4.3 light years away from Earth and a spaceship as the thick black line traveling for one year of its own Proper Time. I have also shown a light signal as the thin blue line just below the spaceship sent to the star:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60879&stc=1&d=1376416540.png

As you can see, in the earth-star rest frame, it takes just over 4.3 years for the spaceship to get to the star at 99%c.

Now if we use the Lorentz Transformation process to convert to the rest frame of the spaceship we get:

attachment.php?attachmentid=60880&stc=1&d=1376416540.png

Now the distance between the Earth and the star is contracted and so the spaceship can get there in just over 7 months.

Attachments

• AlphaCentauriSS5.PNG
    AlphaCentauriSS5.PNG
    8.5 KB · Views: 452
  • AlphaCentauriSS6.PNG
    AlphaCentauriSS6.PNG
    10.7 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Likes 1 person
You made it look simple ghwellsjr! I have an illusion I'm starting to understand the not intuitive warped spacetime. So in one perspective i.e. diagram no.1 I'm not misleading the kids. Btw, this article had it too in the same way, but then they have reason to emphasize it... about a supernova that happened 7 billion light-years away and the three little photons that traveled for 7 billion years...
http://www.space.com/17399-gamma-ray-photons-quantum-spacetime.html

1. When did light start its journey away from a supernova?

The exact time when light started its journey away from a supernova varies and depends on the specific supernova event. However, for most supernovae, light begins its journey immediately after the explosion as the hot and dense core of the star collapses and releases energy in the form of light and other forms of electromagnetic radiation.

2. How far away is the light from a supernova?

The distance of the light from a supernova also varies depending on the supernova event. Some supernovae occur within our own galaxy, while others can be seen in other galaxies millions of light-years away. The distance of the light from a supernova can be calculated using various methods, such as measuring the redshift of the light or using the brightness of the supernova to determine its distance.

3. Can we see the light from a supernova on Earth?

Yes, we can see the light from a supernova on Earth if the supernova is close enough and bright enough. However, the light from a supernova can also be blocked by dust and gas in space, which can make it difficult to observe. Additionally, the light from a supernova can take time to reach Earth, so we may not be able to see it until days, weeks, or even years after the initial explosion.

4. How long does it take for the light from a supernova to reach Earth?

The time it takes for the light from a supernova to reach Earth depends on the distance of the supernova and the speed of light. Since light travels at a speed of approximately 186,000 miles per second, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to millions of years for the light from a supernova to reach Earth.

5. What can we learn from the light of a supernova?

The light from a supernova contains valuable information about the supernova event, such as its distance, energy release, and chemical composition. By studying the light from a supernova, scientists can also learn more about the life cycle of stars, the formation of elements, and the expansion of the universe.