Polyatomic Ions: Charges Explained by Chem Class

• Thread starter scott_alexsk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charges Ion
In summary: The carbon in the double bond has two fewer electrons than it does in nature. This is why it has a 2+ charge.
scott_alexsk
Currently in my Chemsitry class we are reviewing these ions. Since these ions are formed of perfectly neutral elements, how can they have a charge as a whole. My teacher told me these charges in the anions can be attributed to an incomplete oxygen bond such as the negative 2 charge in carbonate( CO subscript 3, superscript 2), but why is this?
-Scott

Physics news on Phys.org
These are no different from mono-atomic ions - one or more of the atoms in the radical is not neutral.

So...polyatomic ions are not made up of neutral atoms. And rarely is there a definciency of electrons (incompleteness) in a bond within such an ion. if at all, such a deficiency will give rise to a net positive charge (taking away electrons makes a thing positive), and hence will not explain the 2- charge on the carbonate ion.

Then why does the carbonate polyatomic ion have a net charge of negative two? Are you saying that naturally the carbon exsists with a -2 charge. If so how does the carbon every find itself with this and remain unbonded such as in a monotomic ion? (By the way in what frequency do ions occur in nature?) Also carbon forms a negative four charge in carbide (supersript -4). If this is true then why does not this carry over to carbonate? How can carbon have an effinity for 4 electrons then suddenly only have 2 extra? Why does not carbonate according to this reasoning not exsist with a negative 4 charge?
-Scott

Last edited:
This follows directly from drawing the electron dot-structure (or Lewis structure) for the CO32- ion. Have you learned how to do these ?

Yes of course. Proceed with your explanation of why this still has a neagtive two charge.
-Scott

It (the extra 2- charge) comes from the O-atoms wanting to have octet structures, without denying the central C-atom its own octet. O being highly electronegative (having a high propensity to accept electrons in order to achieve an octet) will easily take on a negative charge to maintain this octet.

Code:
     .. (-)
    : O :
 ..   |   ..
: O - C = O :
 (-)

That makes sense since the electrons are essentially caught inbetween the two atoms, mostly out of range of the protons producing a net negative charge. But using the same principle why is not the double bond oxygen forms with carbon represented with 2 additional negative charges with the third oxygen? Or does the carbon in the bonding have a +2 charge? What is a carbon ion in that form called anyways?
-Scott

Last edited:
Carbon almost never has a 2+ charge. In rare cases, you have carbocations with a 1+ charge.

Your questions show that you need to first learn how a lewis structure is constructed and the basis for this construction. Without this understanding, this discussion can go nowhere.

I think I have a fair enough understanding, its just I do not understand which atom in the sole double bond has the electrons. Is it the carbon or the oxygen that has the electrons which are being shared. In the diagram I see two shared electrons between carbon, with two other electrons, total four, and oxygen, with 4 other electrons, total six. One way or the other a certain element is giving electrons in this bond, either as an error or something I do not understand. In order for there to be any reason in the sharing of the electrons either the carbon or oxygen atom have to have two less electrons than they do naturally in nature. That is why I mentioned that incredibly strange carbon atom with a two postive charge. Either that or the oxygen has to have a 2+ charge for there to be a bond. I appreciate your time in helping me understand this.
-Scott

1. What are polyatomic ions?

Polyatomic ions are charged molecules that are made up of two or more atoms. These atoms are covalently bonded together and have an overall charge due to the gain or loss of electrons.

2. How are polyatomic ions different from monatomic ions?

Unlike monatomic ions, which are made up of a single atom, polyatomic ions are made up of multiple atoms that are bonded together. This bonding results in an overall charge for the molecule.

3. What is the charge of a polyatomic ion?

The charge of a polyatomic ion can vary, but it is always a whole number. This charge is determined by the number of electrons gained or lost by the molecule to achieve a stable electron configuration.

4. How do I determine the name of a polyatomic ion?

The name of a polyatomic ion is usually derived from the combination of its constituent atoms and the overall charge. For example, the sulfate ion (SO42-) contains sulfur and oxygen atoms and has a charge of -2.

5. What is the significance of polyatomic ions in chemistry?

Polyatomic ions play a crucial role in many chemical reactions and in the formation of compounds. They contribute to the overall charge and stability of molecules, and their presence can greatly affect the properties and behavior of substances.