Exsistance before the speed of light hits- question for you.

In summary: Thanks for the input! I think Im just going to have to keep at it and figure it out on my own. But it really is a fascinating question and something that has been on my mind for quite some time.
Arecibo
::EDIT::

crap, i think i posted this in the wrong place...i think. I am reposting it in general physics.

Still new here...cant seem to find the line between physics and philosophy in my question. Pardon me.

(just incase i had it right the first time, here is my post)

(just a tad of back ground so i don't seem completely clueless) as a child, i showed more interest in the arts rather than science and math, so my father, though dissapointed, full nutured my artistic side. This resulted in me attending arts/dance magnet schools, so i was never able to explore or learn indepth about the sciences. I got older and my long desire to be involved in physics/cosmology got the best of me and i began to self study. Though i do mostly understand what is being said and taught, due to the lack of exposure I am still baffled at questions/theories that i read or think about. So please, excuse me if i may seem a tad naive with the question i ask.

While reading and studying about the speed of light, time travel and Einsteins theorys, a question i have seemed to keep me baffled. Everytime i try to figure it out, the artsy philosophy side kicks in and i usually just end up confusing myself.

after much pondering and not coming to a conclusion, I've decided to break down , embarrass myself and ask for help.

This is one of the question that plauges my mind.

Light travels at a set speed, nothing can go faster than light. This i fully understand, but what of the validity of exsistance?

Ok, light is how we know things exsist, light rays bouncing off an object is how we recognize its exsistance. But what about that object before the light rays hit it and bounce off? Does the object still exsist?

Is this situation anything remotely similar (philosophically or not) to going faster than the speed of light?

This question seems like something i should be able to figure out, like the answer is there but I am just not reaching far enough.

Can someone please help me out?

(i may have not explained my question well enough. Its a lot easier to think about when its in your head, but getting it out and trying to make it make sense is a different story. Just let me know if i need to explain more, i will try my best)

Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Science news on Phys.org
it really has nothing to do with the philosophy of light becuase there is a simple explanation. Go into a dark room with a friend and a baseball, throw the baseball at your friend, does it hurt? Of course. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean something must have hit your friend :).

We observe things in many different ways, light is only one of them.

there can be existence without light... example... what if a black hole is alone in the universe? there is no light being emitted, just extreme gravitical forces. I'm not a physics expert, but philosophy is my thing. I think this is an "easy" answer to your question... since i don't have any real answers, i'll just do my best to try and explain wha i understand... although the true question would still be, could that black hole have ever formed in the first place without some form of light bearing body/material/etc? If you truly wish to find out these answers i'd suggest you get a bit more involved in physics.. it can get fun. It's how i got started, had many philosophical questions, and realized everytime i asked one, i never really received the answers i was looking for. Sometimes you have to search it yourself.

Last edited:
Pengwuino said:
it really has nothing to do with the philosophy of light becuase there is a simple explanation. Go into a dark room with a friend and a baseball, throw the baseball at your friend, does it hurt? Of course. Just because you can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I mean something must have hit your friend :).

We observe things in many different ways, light is only one of them.

i think he's referring to existence on a quantum universal level... he's almost implying the question of... can anything exist before light gets there? Which can be answered as a yes... since the universe has been seen expanding at faster than the speed of light. I know you're searching for a deeper and more intricate answer, i'll ponder it for a couple nights.

This makes sence.
The only physics/astronomy/cosmology I've been involved in is self study. Serious self study. I have and read many published papers, journals, books and even textbooks. Though i guess there is no substitute for hands on learning and help from professors.

Im not in college at the moment, for I am putting that off until I am finnished with my ballet career. (yes, i am a girl :tongue: ) You only have from when your 16 to about 25 to be a professional dancer...had to take that chance when i could.

What are things i can do to get more involved with above mentioned studies without having to entroll in university? Dont get me wrong, university is 100% in my plans for the near future, but i just don't have the time for full or part time enrollment. What are other things i can do to help with my quest?

Thanks so much.

Elizabeth

Arecibo said:
What are things i can do to get more involved with above mentioned studies without having to entroll in university? Dont get me wrong, university is 100% in my plans for the near future, but i just don't have the time for full or part time enrollment. What are other things i can do to help with my quest?
Thanks so much.
Elizabeth

Textbooks... and none of this paperback barnes and noble/borders crap either. People who do that, in my opinion of course, have terrible understandings of physics. They all seem to have this ability to apply things where they shouldn't be applied and use terms that make no sense in context... etc etc. I mean you get one of these people that think its "so obvious" that you can surpass the speed of light using simple constant acceleration and no matter how much modern physics and equations you toss at them, they will still go back towards the philisophical/incredibly basic view of physics where accelerations just add on forever.

Sorry, just a rant :)

Go to a university and talk to one of the professors and ask them what textbooks to start out with and go basic-> advanced. They will most likely even have the books on hand so you will know exactly what to buy. They do tend to cost a lot of money however... my introductory 3-semester series cost $120.

Last edited:
Please note that cross posting is NOT allowed on here. If you wish this to be a physics question, I will have to delete your thread in the Philosophy forum.

Zz.

Edit: I've merged the two threads and deleted duplicate posts. Still, there may be some strange continuity. Note that if this turns out to be more of a philosophical discussion than a physics issue, it will be moved to the Philosphy forum.

Last edited:
Where did you get the idea that " light is how we know things exsist, light rays bouncing off an object is how we recognize its exsistance"?

You can hear things, you can touch them. Vision is ONE sense. It certainly is not the only way we can "know things exist". Even worse, you seem to jump from "know things exist" to "light is what makes things exist"!

1. What is the concept of "existence before the speed of light"?

The concept of existence before the speed of light refers to the possibility of events or entities existing before the speed of light was first observed and measured by humans. This idea is often explored in theories of the origin of the universe and the concept of time itself.

2. How can we even consider existence before the speed of light if it is the fastest speed in the universe?

While the speed of light is currently considered to be the fastest speed in the universe, it is possible that it was not always the case. Theories such as the inflationary model of the universe suggest that the speed of light may have been much faster in the early stages of the universe.

3. Is there any evidence or proof of existence before the speed of light?

At this time, there is no concrete evidence or proof of existence before the speed of light. However, some scientific theories and models, such as the Big Bang theory, suggest that the universe existed before the speed of light and that the speed of light was not always constant.

4. What implications does the concept of existence before the speed of light have on our understanding of the universe?

The concept of existence before the speed of light challenges our current understanding of the universe and the laws of physics. It raises questions about the nature of time and the possibility of events occurring outside of our current understanding of cause and effect.

5. Can we ever truly know what existed before the speed of light?

It is difficult to say whether we will ever be able to truly know what existed before the speed of light. As our scientific understanding and technology continue to advance, we may gain more insights and evidence into this concept. However, it is also possible that the concept of existence before the speed of light may always remain a mystery.