What travels faster: visible light in water or X-rays in liquid mercury?

Dante Meira
TL;DR Summary
In which medium electromagnetic waves travel faster, distilled water or liquid mercury?
I could find some approximations in a Google search about the speed of visible light in distilled water, but couldn't find much about the speed of X-rays in liquid mercury.

In which medium electromagnetic waves travel faster, distilled water or liquid mercury? Does the wavelength of the electromagnetic waves influence the speed in each medium?

What travels faster, visible light in distilled water or X-rays in liquid mercury?

Science news on Phys.org
Gordianus said:

Thank you. I checked the data there for Hg (mercury) but I didn't know how to use the data to calculate the speed of propagation of X-rays.

But I did find this other website:

https://refractiveindex.info/?shelf=main&book=Hg&page=Inagaki

There I could check the refractive index of Hg for wavelengths between 0.06358 and 6 micrometers. The minimum wavelength in that data set, 0.06 micrometers (60 nanometers), is way above that of soft X-rays. Any way, the refractive index of Hg for that wavelength is 1.2085, then I calculated the speed of propagation of electromagnetic radiation of that wavelength in mercury as 299,792,458 divided by 1.2085 = 248,069,886 meters per second. That's faster than the average 225,000,000 meters per second of visible light in water.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the refractive index of mercury for wavelengths shorter than 60 nanometers.

Dante Meira said:
TL;DR Summary: In which medium electromagnetic waves travel faster, distilled water or liquid mercury?

What travels faster, visible light in distilled water or X-rays in liquid mercury?
Is there any practical context for this question or is it just a Top Trumps type question?

If the OP is wondering about possible designs for focussing X rays, there are X Ray telescopes which use mirrors, rather than lenses. Quite smart, I thought; some lateral thinking involved.

The OP hasn't been seen in days, so it is difficult to gauge his level of interest. I'm just glad I didn't write a long, involved answer, only then to find that he had wandered off.

Likes dlgoff

1. What is the speed of light in water compared to the speed of X-rays in liquid mercury?

The speed of light in water is approximately 75% of the speed of light in a vacuum. The speed of X-rays in liquid mercury is slightly slower, at around 70% of the speed of light in a vacuum.

2. Why is the speed of light slower in water compared to a vacuum?

The speed of light in a medium, such as water, is determined by the refractive index of the medium. This is a measure of how much the speed of light is reduced when traveling through the medium. Water has a higher refractive index than a vacuum, which is why light travels slower in water.

3. Does the speed of light in water depend on the wavelength of the light?

Yes, the speed of light in a medium depends on the wavelength of the light. This is because different wavelengths of light interact with the medium differently, causing variations in the refractive index. In general, longer wavelengths of light travel faster in a medium compared to shorter wavelengths.

4. How does the speed of X-rays in liquid mercury compare to the speed of X-rays in air?

The speed of X-rays in liquid mercury is slightly slower than the speed of X-rays in air. This is because liquid mercury has a higher refractive index than air, causing the X-rays to travel slower.

5. Can the speed of light or X-rays in a medium be changed?

No, the speed of light and X-rays in a medium is determined by the properties of the medium and cannot be changed. However, the speed of light and X-rays can be manipulated by passing through different mediums with varying refractive indices.