Alternating Series Help: Convergence of (-1)^(n-1) * (2n+1)/(n+2)

In summary, the conversation discusses the convergence of an alternating series that cannot be determined using the root test or ratio test. It is suggested to combine terms pairwise to get a divergent series. The limit of the individual terms does not exist, indicating that the series also does not converge.
SigurRos
I apologize right now for the fact that I have no idea how to use LaTeX
I can't figure out if the following alternating series is convergent or not:
Sum(((-1)^(n-1)) * ((2n+1)/(n+2))) from 1 to infinity
the root test is not applicable, A(n+1)>An, and the ratio test gives me Limit=1, so I have no comclusive evidence either way. Even Maple 10 couldn't give me an answer.
I have a test tomorrow. HELP!

Physics news on Phys.org
Since it is alternating, you can combine terms pairwise. You will then get a monotonic series with terms ~2/n for large n. This is, as you should know, divergent.

[tex]\sum_1^\infty (-1)^{n-1} \frac{2n+1}{n+2}[/tex]
Is an alternating series. Therefore it converges if, and only if, the limit of the individual terms goes to zero.
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} (-1)^{n-1} \frac{2n+1}{n+2}[/tex]
does not exist. (There are limit points at +2 and -2.) Since the sequence of terms does not converge, the series cannot converge.

1. What is an alternating series?

An alternating series is a type of mathematical series where the terms alternate between positive and negative values.

2. What is the alternating series test?

The alternating series test is a method used to determine the convergence or divergence of an alternating series. It states that if the absolute value of the terms in the series decrease and approach zero, then the series is convergent.

3. How do you know if an alternating series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if an alternating series is convergent or divergent, you can use the alternating series test or other convergence tests such as the ratio test or the integral test.

4. What is the formula for the sum of an alternating series?

The formula for the sum of an alternating series is S = a - b + c - d + ..., where "a" is the first term, "b" is the second term, and so on. This formula only applies if the series is convergent.

5. Can an alternating series have both positive and negative terms?

Yes, an alternating series can have both positive and negative terms. The key characteristic is that the terms alternate between positive and negative values, regardless of the initial sign of the terms.