Matrix multiplication - is this plausible?

In summary, by using the properties of matrix multiplication, we can see that X = (AB)(B^{-1}C) is equivalent to AC. This is verified by the associative law and the definition of inverse.
catsarebad
say X = (AB) (B-1 C)

B-1 = B inverse (B B-1 = B-1 B = I)

then can i write X = AC?

just having a brain fart moment. i would appreciate a speedy response, cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge said:
You mean:

##X=(AB)(B^{-1}C) = AC## ... you should be able to figure it out from the properties of matrix multiplication.

nah i just needed someone to verify that. thanks :)

No worries.

Likes 1 person
The "properties of matrix multiplication" that Simon Bridge referred to that are needed here are specifically the "associative law" and the definition of "inverse", that [itex]BB^{-1}= I[/itex]

By the associative law, [itex](AB)(B^{-1}C)= A(BB^{-1})C[/itex] and then [itex]BB^{-1}= I[/itex] gives [itex]A(I)C= AC[/itex].

Likes 1 person

What is matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication is a mathematical operation that involves multiplying two matrices to produce a new matrix. It is different from regular multiplication because it follows specific rules and is not commutative.

Why is matrix multiplication important?

Matrix multiplication is important in many fields of science and engineering, including physics, computer graphics, and economics. It allows us to represent and manipulate complex systems and data in a more efficient and organized manner.

How is matrix multiplication performed?

To multiply two matrices, the number of columns in the first matrix must match the number of rows in the second matrix. The product matrix will have the same number of rows as the first matrix and the same number of columns as the second matrix. The multiplication is performed by multiplying corresponding elements in each row of the first matrix with corresponding elements in each column of the second matrix and then summing the results.

Is matrix multiplication commutative?

No, matrix multiplication is not commutative. This means that the order of multiplication matters. In other words, multiplying matrix A by matrix B will not give the same result as multiplying matrix B by matrix A.

Is matrix multiplication plausible?

Yes, matrix multiplication is a well-defined mathematical operation that follows specific rules and has been extensively studied and used in various fields. It has been proven to be a powerful tool in solving complex problems and representing real-world situations.