1.5 V simple motor increase rpm

In summary: Adding extra mass to the coil will help to increase the speed of the motor.If you're looking for a more efficient motor design, you can try making one out of neodymium magnets. These are very strong and can be attached near the coil to increase the torque.Adding a stronger magnet to the motor will help it to run faster, but be careful not to overload the coil.
sdnhatb
I am working on a simple motor and I would love input or tips to increase the rpm on it.
The motor is built by having a 1.5 v D battery connected to 2 bobby pins for and a coil of wire that one side is fully stripped and the other side is on the other side is only stripped on the bottom. Then i have a magnet under the coil to cause to rotate. I got it to run abbout 800 rpm but i would like it to excede 3000 rpm.
If i increase/decrease the diameter of the coil will it increase?
if i increase the number of coil will it increase?
If i add a stronger magnet will it it cause it to increase?
What will be a better replacement for the bobby pins?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could put another magnet above the coil with the magnetic polarity the opposite to the one at the bottom.
This will give more torque and possibly more speed. Use the best Neodymium magnets you can get and put them as close to the coil as you can.

Those motors are great for a simple demonstration of motor principles, but the simple commutator mechanism requires constant care to keep it working, This is because the enamel on the wire quickly wears off as the motor turns.

Welcome to PF sdnhatb.

You could also try using 2 D batteries, connected in series.

I could connect 2 batteries in series but its kind of a challenge i got from my brother to get the 1.5v motor to reach 3000 rpm.
Will adding oil to the pivot points decrease friction causing it to go faster and stay cooler?

The motor coil is suspended on the paper clips, so very little friction occurs here and adding oil may increase the friction if it burns while the motor is turning. You could get the motor running and then put a drop of sewing machine oil on one of the support points and see if the speed increases.

Adding extra turns to the coil will help, but increasing the coil diameter will make it worse.

Also, if you can add mass to the rotor, the motor will run more smoothly. (Using soft iron for this will make the magnets more effective as the magnetic flux will be increased.)

This is because the motor is unpowered for most of each revolution so it needs considerable mass to keep it turning while it is not being powered. It is important to keep the rotor balanced, though, so careful construction is needed.

However, I would not put too much effort into this motor, which is really just a novelty. You can get kits to make up motors which will be much more efficient and longer lasting.

I know the this motor design isn't very exciting but I want the maximum potential of it. :]
Can you please explain a litle more detail about the adding iron to the rotor? And by rotor do you mean the coil?

With such a small motor, any changes you make will have to be experimental and depend on what you have available.

As a test, you could try a few nails attached to the inner side of the coil with the same number of nails on the opposite side to keep the coil balanced. These will add mass to the rotating coil and may help to concentrate the magnetic field.

In this case, yes, the coil IS the rotor, although it normally includes everything that rotates.

1. How does increasing the voltage affect the RPM of a 1.5 V simple motor?

Increasing the voltage supplied to a 1.5 V simple motor will increase its RPM. This is because the higher voltage provides more energy to the motor, allowing it to rotate faster.

2. Is it safe to increase the voltage of a 1.5 V simple motor?

Increasing the voltage of a 1.5 V simple motor may cause it to overheat and potentially damage the motor. It is important to check the motor's specifications to ensure that it can handle the increased voltage.

3. Will increasing the voltage of a 1.5 V simple motor affect its lifespan?

Increasing the voltage of a 1.5 V simple motor may decrease its lifespan due to the added stress and potential overheating. It is important to balance the desired RPM with the motor's longevity.

4. How much should I increase the voltage to see a significant increase in RPM?

The amount of voltage needed to see a significant increase in RPM will vary depending on the motor's specifications. It is recommended to slowly increase the voltage and monitor the RPM to avoid damaging the motor.

5. Are there any other ways to increase the RPM of a 1.5 V simple motor?

Aside from increasing the voltage, other factors such as the motor's design, weight of the load, and friction can also affect its RPM. Properly lubricating the motor and using a lighter load can also help increase its RPM.