Motion equations of a disc rotating freely around its center (3d)

In summary, the conversation discussed a system consisting of a pinned disc and weights that can be placed on the disc to make it tilt. The system experiences no friction and only gravitational force in the opposite direction of the z-axis. The equations of motion for the system were discussed, with the goal of finding a way to simulate the system's motion using a standard Runge-Kutta integration method. The conversation also mentioned the use of a coordinate system to separate the vectorial equations into three linear equations, but no solution has been found yet.
bluekuma

Homework Statement

The system is made of a disc the center of which is pinned to the origin (so the disc cannot translate), and some weights that can be stuck on the disc to make it tilt (weights do not translate on the disc) (see images attached).
There is no friction whatsoever. The only force is gravitational force, with direction opposite to the z-axis'.

Let's start with the disc at rest with its axis parallel to axis z. Now, if you put a weight on it, the disc starts oscillating just as if it was a pendulum. Then, at time t=t0, you put another weight on it.

If ω⃗ is the rotational speed vector and θ⃗ is the rotation vector of the disc (meaning the direction of the disc's axis is always the z-versor rotated by θ radians around θ⃗ ) what's the expression of f⃗ (t,ω,θ) in:

dω⃗ /dt = f(t,ω,θ),
dθ⃗ /dt = ω⃗

Given the initial values ω⃗ (t0) =ω⃗0≠0 and θ⃗ (t0=θ⃗0≠0, dω⃗ (t0)/dt≠0,
that would give me a way to simulate the system's motion through a standard Runge-Kutta integration method.

MIGHT HELP TO KNOW:
- I'm pretty sure there is a way to divide the two vectorial equations in six (three systems of two) linear equations
- z-component of momentum M⃗ (where dω⃗ /dt = M⃗ /I ) is always 0 (zero) as M is the result of a cross product between a vector r (x, y, x) and the gravitational force (0, 0, -mg), therefore z-component of ω⃗ and θ⃗ are also 0.

Homework Equations

d[itex]\vec{ω}[/itex]/dt = [itex]\vec{M}[/itex]/I
where [itex]\vec{M}[/itex] is the momentum and I the moment of inertia.

The Attempt at a Solution

ehr...i'm actively looking for a system of coordinates in which the vectorial equations can be separated in three linear equations, that would solve my problem. Obviously I had no success so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
I tried with Lagrangian and Euler-Lagrange equation but I really don't know where to start writing kinetic and potential energies in cartesian or spherical coordinates.

I tried with a coordinate system that moves together with the disc (longitudinal and vertical axis, as it is usually done when studying motion of airplanes). There I'd have that the weights are still but force of gravity keeps changing its direction, that only adds to the confusion.

Any idea?

1. What is the formula for calculating the angular velocity of a disc rotating freely in 3D?

The formula for calculating the angular velocity of a disc rotating freely in 3D is ω = v/r, where ω is the angular velocity, v is the linear velocity of a point on the disc, and r is the radius of the disc.

2. How do you find the centripetal acceleration of a disc rotating freely in 3D?

To find the centripetal acceleration of a disc rotating freely in 3D, you can use the formula a = ω^2r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, ω is the angular velocity, and r is the radius of the disc.

3. What is the difference between linear and angular velocity?

Linear velocity refers to the speed and direction of an object moving in a straight line, while angular velocity is the rate of change of the angle of rotation of an object.

4. How does the moment of inertia affect the motion of a disc rotating freely in 3D?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The greater the moment of inertia, the more force is needed to change the angular velocity of the disc.

5. Can you calculate the kinetic energy of a disc rotating freely in 3D?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a disc rotating freely in 3D can be calculated using the formula KE = 1/2Iω^2, where KE is the kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.