Calculating the Force of a Fist on a Glass Bottle

• Thread starter jaded18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Glass
In summary, we have a glass soda bottle filled with water, corked and exposed to pressure. A student strikes the cork with her fist, causing the bottom of the bottle to break. The force exerted by the fist on the top of the bottle is calculated to be 40,000N upwards, which is also the average downward force exerted by the fist on the cork. The pressure due to this force is 127323954.4 Pa, using Pascal's principle. The magnitude of the force exerted on the bottom of the bottle is equal to the pressure multiplied by the area at the bottom, which is 0.0033 m^2.
jaded18
http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1011752/15/1011752A.jpg

A glass soda bottle is emptied of soda and filled to the very top with water. A cork is carefully fitted into the top of the bottle, leaving no air between the cork and the water. View Figure The top of the bottle has a diameter of D_top = 2.00 cm and the bottom of the bottle has a diameter of D_bot = 6.50 cm. The glass breaks when it is exposed to p_max = 70.0 MPa of pressure.
A student hits the cork sharply with her fist and the bottom of the bottle breaks. The student's fist has a mass of m = 0.480 kg and moves downward at a speed of v_i = 5.00 m/s. It collides elastically with the cork and rebounds with the same speed. The collision lasts for t = 1.20×10^−4 s. In this problem, the positive direction is upward.

----->What is the force that the fist exerts on the top of the bottle?

Physics news on Phys.org
The acceleration of the fist is [5m/s - (-5m/s)]/(1.20*10^-4) = 83,333m/s^2 upwards...

So the average force the cork exerts upward on the fist is = ma = 83,333m/s^2*0.480 = 40,000N upwards.

So the fist exerts an average downward force of 40,000N on the cork.

What is the pressure due to this force? What is the pressure at the bottom of the bottle during the application of this force?

The glass breaks when it is exposed to p_max = 70.0 MPa of pressure... that means that the difference of the pressures on either side has to reach 70.0MPa...

Thanks I got it!

Last edited:
jaded18 said:
Thanks got it. I have another question: What is the magnitude of the force exerted on the bottom of the bottle?
____
I know that the area at the top is (0.01^2*3.14) m^2 and the force as you mentioned is 40,000 that is exerted on the top. The pressure due to the force of the fist on the cork, therefore is (40000/(o.o1^2*3.14)) which = 127323954.5 pa. I also know that the area at the bottom is (0.065/2)^2*3.14 = 0.0033 m^2. I am a little lost on how to find the pressure at the bottom ... Do I just use p=p_0+density(g)(h) where p_0 is the pressure at the liquid surface so that p at bottom=101300 pa??

Do they want the "net" force on the bottom of the bottle from inside the bottle?

Then the pressure you need is atmospheric pressure + fist pressure + rho*g*h... multiply that by area at the bottom of the bottle...

ie the p_0 here is atmospheric pressure + fist pressure...

jaded18 said:
Thanks I got it!

cool. just curious. Did you use atmospheric pressure + fist pressure + rho*g*h?

learningphysics said:
cool. just curious. Did you use atmospheric pressure + fist pressure + rho*g*h?

No. Actually I used Pascal’s principle which states that the pressure of the fist striking the top is transmitted equally throughout the bottle. The increase in pressure at the bottom is equal to the increase in pressure at the top which means that the pressure at the top and the bottom is 127323954.4 ... and so I took that value and multiplied it with the area of bottom to get Force :)

jaded18 said:
No. Actually I used Pascal’s principle which states that the pressure of the fist striking the top is transmitted equally throughout the bottle. The increase in pressure at the bottom is equal to the increase in pressure at the top which means that the pressure at the top and the bottom is 127323954.4 ... and so I took that value and multiplied it with the area of bottom to get Force :)

ah... cool. so they just wanted the extra force due to the fist striking.

good job!

1. What causes a glass soda bottle to break?

A glass soda bottle can break due to various reasons, such as sudden changes in temperature, physical impact, or manufacturing defects. The most common cause is thermal shock, which occurs when a hot or cold liquid is poured into a glass bottle, causing it to expand or contract rapidly and resulting in the breaking of the glass.

2. Can a glass soda bottle break on its own?

While it is highly unlikely for a glass soda bottle to break on its own, it is not impossible. Glass bottles can develop microscopic cracks during the manufacturing process or due to wear and tear, which can eventually lead to a breakage without any external force.

3. What is the best way to prevent a glass soda bottle from breaking?

The best way to prevent a glass soda bottle from breaking is by handling it with care and avoiding sudden temperature changes. Always hold the bottle by the neck instead of the body, and do not expose it to extreme temperatures. Additionally, make sure to check for any cracks or damages before using the bottle.

4. Can a glass soda bottle shatter into small pieces?

Yes, a glass soda bottle can shatter into small pieces if it breaks. This is because glass is a brittle material and tends to break into smaller pieces when subjected to force. These small pieces can be sharp and dangerous, which is why it is important to handle broken glass with caution.

5. Is it safe to clean up a broken glass soda bottle?

No, it is not safe to clean up a broken glass soda bottle without taking proper precautions. The broken pieces of glass can cause cuts and injuries. It is recommended to wear protective gloves and use a broom or vacuum to clean up the glass pieces. Make sure to dispose of the broken bottle and glass pieces in a safe and responsible manner.