Is the Arab World Hoping for a Kerry Victory in the US Election?

• News
  • Thread starter Acidrain
  • Start date
In summary, there is a growing excitement and fear among the dictators and despots of the Arab world as the US presidential election approaches. They are hoping for a John Kerry victory, as they fear a second term for George W. Bush would lead to greater attempts at reform in the Middle East and threaten their power and weapon acquisition. This desire for a Bush defeat is evident in the heated rhetoric in the region. However, the article also mentions that European countries, such as Norway, Germany, France, Italy, and Spain, heavily favor Kerry over Bush. Only the United Kingdom and possibly Israel and Poland are hoping for a Bush victory. The mention of Ayatollahs is not clear, as none are quoted in the conversation.
Acidrain
By Michael Freund
The Jerusalem Post | September 15, 2004

The excitement is palpable. You can almost feel it in the air. The dictators of the Arab world just can’t wait for George W. Bush to lose the US presidential election in November.

Gripped with fear as they watch Bush’s democratic experiment in Iraq take shape, the tyrants and despots of the Middle East are pinning their hopes on Democratic challenger John Kerry to prevail.

After all, the last thing they want to see is a second-term Bush determined to reform the region, a development that would threaten their grip on power and stymie their efforts to obtain more lethal types of weaponry.

And so, the rhetoric in the Arab world is heating up, pointing to a real desire to see the US president go down in defeat.

continued

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=JPost/JPArticle/ShowFull&cid=1093921794974&p=1006953079865

Acidrain

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds like a level-headed objective observation, don't you think?

(Yes that was irony, real irony)

I fail to see the relevance of the title. Which ayatollahs are you speaking of?

Jerusalem Post said:
"if the ayatollahs are banking on Kerry to win, that certainly cannot be the right way to go."

Europe would probably beg to differ with that statement.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/3640754.stm

Norway: 74% Kerry, 7% Bush
Germany: 74% Kerry, 10% Bush
France: 64% Kerry, 5% Bush
Italy: 58% Kerry, 14% Bush
Spain: 45% Kerry, 7% Bush

Bush's best ally, the United Kingdom, only prefers Kerry by 47% to 16%.

Outside of Asia, Israel and Poland might be the only countries hoping for a Bush win.

Last edited:
I thought the article was interesting! So I posted it.

I would think that the Ayatollahs that he is talking about i image would be Iran? That was my understanding.

Acidrain

Acidrain said:
I thought the article was interesting! So I posted it.

I would think that the Ayatollahs that he is talking about i image would be Iran? That was my understanding.

Acidrain
No Ayatollahs were actually quoted, and only like 2 newspapers and 2 guys were actually quoted.

Chi Meson said:
Sounds like a level-headed objective observation, don't you think?

(Yes that was irony, real irony)

Alanis Morissette ruined so many people's idea of irony.

Smurf said:
Alanis Morissette ruined so many people's idea of irony.

True, that word has now become all but indistinguishable from 'sarcasm'.

1. Who are the "Ayatollahs for Kerry"?

The "Ayatollahs for Kerry" is a satirical name used to refer to a group of Iranian political and religious leaders who publicly announced their support for John Kerry in the 2004 United States presidential election.

2. Why would Iranian leaders support an American presidential candidate?

The announcement of support for John Kerry was a satirical response to the Bush administration's aggressive foreign policies towards Iran. It was meant to highlight the absurdity of the situation and criticize the US government's approach towards Iran.

3. Did the "Ayatollahs for Kerry" have any real influence on the election?

No, the announcement was purely symbolic and meant as a form of political satire. It did not have any real impact on the election results.

4. Was there any backlash against the "Ayatollahs for Kerry" for their statement?

Yes, there was some backlash from conservative politicians and media who saw the statement as disrespectful and unpatriotic. However, it was mostly seen as a harmless and humorous form of political satire.

5. Has the "Ayatollahs for Kerry" group made any similar statements since the 2004 election?

No, the group has not made any similar statements since the 2004 election. It was a one-time event meant to make a political statement and has not been repeated.