Sharing IQ Scores: The Ethics and Implications

• Thread starter JackRohr
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of IQ and whether people would be willing to share their scores, along with their job and ethnic background. The average IQ is mentioned to be 100 with a standard deviation of 15. Some individuals share their IQ scores, ranging from 77 to over 9000, while others mention not having been tested or questioning the accuracy of their scores. The idea of studying the correlation between IQ and ethnic background is brought up, with suggestions to consult organizations like Mensa for data. The conversation also touches on the controversial nature of IQ and its limited ability to accurately measure intelligence.
JackRohr said:
I agree. I need this for a school project and in all responses I have found 1 actual one which won't cut it for school.

Your first problem is that very few people take a "real" IQ test. A person is more likely to take an IQ test to diagnose problems (i.e. - eliminate low IQ as the cause of learning problems, etc).

They would be much more likely to take some standardized test that can be generally correlated to IQ (SAT, ACT, ASVAB, etc). In other words, most people have a rough estimate of their IQ, with the accuracy of the estimate varying depending on the test/IQ (for example, the ASVAB test would be accurate up to around 120 or 125, but the only accurate statement you could make for higher scores is that their IQ is proabably above 120).

You would probably get better results by asking for results of tests they were likely to take and doing the correlations yourself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
There are certainly problems with thinking too fast. I'm fed up with getting criticised for my "negative attitude" for identifying major potential problems in some plan before most people have even begun to understand the positive aspects, even though in many cases I also find potential solutions which are better than the original plan.
Now you've identified the problem, the next step may be to work on ways of presenting your conclusions in a more "people friendly" fashion. One way, for example, might be (I don't know what you do already) to ask questions that lead to your viewpoint rather than state it. Not only can this soften the impact of a "negative" but it encourages others to think about the problem and be readier for alternative solutions (or even come up with their own). Of course, the way you phrase the questions is important, for example, contrast and compare "What half-witted, moronic imbecile thought up this can of worms? Duh! Can't they see that ...?" versus "OK, I can see the intent here, but I don't quite understand how it does X / what happens if Y occurs?".

Another one is, where feasible, to give the appearance of taking time to consider things before commenting. It turns out that people find it off-putting to struggle over a problem for days, finally summon up the courage to talk to someone and then have the solution presented to them instantly without even the pretence of thinking about it ... apparently, no matter how friendly your smile or demeanour, it can be "intimidating".

Once people get to know you, then you can sometimes "relax".

Surprisingly, a flip-side to having ready answers to tricky problems, is that people can treat you like a performing poodle or precocious child and only "drag you out for special occasions" whilst the "real people" get on with the interesting jobs. In addition, making things look too easy can diminish the perceived validity of your solutions ... anything that involves no effort can't be right, right?

BobG the only problem with that is I have a genius iq (officially tested) yet only scored a 24 on my act.

JackRohr said:
BobG the only problem with that is I have a genius iq (officially tested) yet only scored a 24 on my act.

OK, we know already that you have a genius IQ. No need to repeat it every post.

JackRohr said:

This should help you gauge the efficacy of IQ tests.

Got everything you needed then?

I think it's time to lock this thread.

JackRohr said:
So, you're not a genius.