Using compressed air to displace water

In summary, Jobrag is looking into how to compress air and use it to force water out of a pipe. He is looking for help calculating the pressure and flow rate needed. He also needs help figuring out how to account for the decreasing pressure as the air escapes the tank.
cocopops
Not really sure how to word the title better!

Anyway, I'm looking at how I could design and do some basic flow calculations regarding compressed air.

The idea is to have a tank of highly compressed air piped to a tank of water. When the valve between them is opened, the compressed air rushes into the water tanks, forcing the water out of pipes at high velocity.

That's the plan anyway. Would this work, and how could I calculate how much air I need, the air pressure/compression ratio, flow rate of the water out of the tanks? Given I know how much water I want to force out.

Any help is appreciated since the only information I've been able to find so far is based on Super Soaker water guns...

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Before you start get a copy of your local design codes for pressure vessels.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of these.

I'm not actually going to be making this system, it's just for a university project.

What I really need to know is what realistic compressed air pressures are? It's easy for me to just say "I'll make it 1000 atmospheres" but I doubt this is reasonable?

Once I know pressure at mass of the compressed air, I think I'll be able to do flow calculations. Would it just be a case of the water being at the same pressure as the compressed air when the valve opens? I'd also guess that this pressure will fall as the air escapes the tank, so how would I account for this?

Thanks!

Still really struggling to find any help on this problem. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Go to your fluid mechanics textbooks and look for a worked solution of the problem of how long it takes to empty a tank open to atmosphere with an open valve at the bottom of the tank, and no flow into the tank.

Hey,

It's a very good idea.

Have you heard of Pascals law of fluids.(valid for all fluids)
(you will also need to use gas equations which are pretty accurate)

And also applying Bernoulli''s equations you can find speed of efflux(but that's valid only for ideal fluids which may pose a problem).

However, by observing practical deviation from expected ideal values you can add some more practical value to your project.

Like you can even create a graph of deviation .

(Also using gas is a great idea)
Hope this helps.

Sorry for the delay in getting back, I've been very busy.

Jobrag, I think I know how to get rough values using Bernoulli's, this is what you meant, right? My issue is computing the changing pressure since the pressure will drop as there is a larger voume of air as water drains out. I hope that makes sense.

Any idea how I would work around this?

Look at my last post and think about what happens in that situation.

Jobrag said:
Look at my last post and think about what happens in that situation.

My tank won't be open to the atmosphere though. Sorry if I'm missing something here, it's been a long day...

What happens to the pressure head at the valve entrance as the tank empties??

1. How does compressed air displace water?

When compressed air is released into a container filled with water, the air molecules push against the water molecules, causing them to move and creating space for the air to fill. This displacement of water by air creates a pressure difference, which can be harnessed for various purposes.

2. What are the advantages of using compressed air to displace water?

There are several advantages to using compressed air to displace water. First, it is a cost-effective method as compressed air is readily available and does not require complex equipment. Additionally, it is a clean and environmentally friendly approach as no chemicals or electricity are needed. Finally, compressed air can be easily controlled and adjusted for specific needs.

3. Are there any limitations to using compressed air to displace water?

While compressed air is a useful tool for displacing water, there are a few limitations. One limitation is that it may not be suitable for large-scale applications as it may not have enough force to displace large volumes of water. Additionally, it may not be effective in highly pressurized or deep water environments.

4. What are some common applications of using compressed air to displace water?

There are many practical applications of using compressed air to displace water. It is commonly used in water treatment facilities to aerate and mix water for better quality. It can also be used in hydraulic systems to control the movement of water and in underwater construction for dredging or creating a stable working environment.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using compressed air to displace water?

Yes, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind when using compressed air to displace water. First, always ensure that the compressed air source is properly regulated and does not exceed the recommended pressure for the specific application. It is also important to wear protective gear, such as goggles and earplugs, when working with compressed air. Lastly, always release the compressed air slowly and carefully to avoid sudden bursts of pressure that could cause harm.