Calculating the Volume of Spheres with Different Radii

• Thread starter Revolver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Volume
That's not quite right. The larger sphere would have a radius of (6400+10)km, but the smaller one would have a radius of 6400km. So the formula for the volume of air around the Earth would be V=(4/3)pi[(6400+10)^3-(6400^3)] = 418,848,786.4 km^3.In summary, the volume of a sphere with a radius of 5.0 m can be calculated using the formula V=(4/3)pi(r^3), which gives an answer of 523.6. To find the volume of air around the Earth, you would use the formula V=(4/3)pi[(6400
Revolver
What is the formula? I have two problems:

1. What is the volume of a sphere with a radius of 5.0 m?

My initial guess was 5^3 = 125, but apparently the answer is 523.6.

2. The radius of the Earth is 6400 km. If the atmosphere is approximately 10 km high, then what is the volume of air around the earth?

Ok to be honest, I have no idea. I assume you find the volume of the earth, then the volume of a sphere with radius 10 km, and subtract the two... but that goes back to me not knowing the forumla of volume of a sphere :D

Physics news on Phys.org
Revolver said:
What is the formula? I have two problems:

1. What is the volume of a sphere with a radius of 5.0 m?

My initial guess was 5^3 = 125, but apparently the answer is 523.6.
[/quote\\]
[tex]v= \frac{4 \pi r^3}{3}[/tex]
2. The radius of the Earth is 6400 km. If the atmosphere is approximately 10 km high, then what is the volume of air around the earth?

Ok to be honest, I have no idea. I assume you find the volume of the earth, then the volume of a sphere with radius 10 km, and subtract the two... but that goes back to me not knowing the forumla of volume of a sphere :D

You might want to rethink that second one.

OK, the general formula for the volume of a sphere is V=(4/3)pi(r^3), where r=radius and pi=3.14 approx.
Question 1 you just have to simply substitute r=5 into the equation. For Question 2 you find the volume of the Earth plus the atmosphere together, having a radius of 6500km, and subtract from this the volume of the Earth alone, where r=6400km. Hopefully that helps.

It's two spheres but the larger one is the one that includes the atmosphere it would be (6400 + 10)Km and the smaller one would Earth's 6400 km radius to ground.

What is the formula for finding the volume of a sphere?

The formula for finding the volume of a sphere is V = (4/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the sphere.

What is the difference between the volume of a sphere and a circle?

The volume of a sphere is the amount of space enclosed within the sphere, while the volume of a circle is the amount of space enclosed within the two-dimensional shape on a flat surface.

How do you calculate the volume of a sphere with a given diameter?

To calculate the volume of a sphere with a given diameter, you can use the formula V = (π/6)d³, where V is the volume and d is the diameter.

What is the unit of measurement for volume of a sphere?

The unit of measurement for volume of a sphere is cubic units, such as cubic meters or cubic inches.

How do you find the volume of a hemisphere?

To find the volume of a hemisphere, you can use the formula V = (2/3)πr³, where V is the volume and r is the radius of the hemisphere. This is because a hemisphere is essentially half of a sphere.