Can You Compute Fresnel Integrals?

• Thread starter unseenoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the OP is getting ready for school and is not familiar with complex integration and the residue theorem. He is trying to find an approximation for the integral sin(x^2) but is not successful. There are several methods for approximation, but the most accurate is not to use a substitution but to integrate the sin(x^2) term by term and use the Taylor expansion.
unseenoi
hi everyone can someone please help me out. This is not homework just getting ready for school
integral of sin(x^2)

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you familiar with complex integration and the residue theorem?

no i am not

unseenoi said:
no i am not
In that case, I would try a substitution.

Seeing as you say you're getting ready for school, are you still in high school? Also I just noticed that you didn't specify an interval to integrate over. Did you just make up this integral yourself? The reason I am asking this is that this function does not have a primitive function in terms of elementary functions.

Cyosis said:
Seeing as you say you're getting ready for school, are you still in high school? Also I just noticed that you didn't specify an interval to integrate over. Did you just make up this integral yourself? The reason I am asking this is that this function does not have a primitive function in terms of elementary functions.
Well noted Cyosis, I presumed that by 'school' the OP meant grad school, which looking back now may have not been a wise assumption.

[itex]\int \sin(x^2)\,dx[/itex] is not elementary.

So "hints" like "try substitution" are not helpful.

g_edgar said:
[itex]\int \sin(x^2)\,dx[/itex] is not elementary.
Indeed it is, as has already been pointed out.
g_edgar said:
So "hints" like "try substitution" are not helpful.
Really? How about substituting u=x2, then expanding sin(u) about u=0 and performing term-wise integration? Does this not give the power-series definition of the Fresnel function S(x)?

Hootenanny said:
Really? How about substituting u=x2, then expanding sin(u) about u=0 and performing term-wise integration? Does this not give the power-series definition of the Fresnel function S(x)?

I think your substitution hint implied either u-substitution or integration by parts. There is no need to make a substitution to expand sin(x2) out into its power series.

it is a fresnel intetgral

There is no systematic way to compute Fresnel integrals as I know.
But there are several approximation methods

I found Peter L. Volegov's code in Matlab central. It uses a method proposed in the following : (ith an error of less then 1x10-9)

Klaus D. Mielenz, Computation of Fresnel Integrals. II
J. Res. Natl. Inst. Stand. Technol. 105, 589 (2000), pp 589-590

Or simply wiki Fresnel Integrals

by the way it is suprising that nobody above heard of Fresnels.

n!kofeyn said:
I think your substitution hint implied either u-substitution or integration by parts. There is no need to make a substitution to expand sin(x2) out into its power series.

It is useful if you want to derive an asymptotic expression for the case of the integral from zero to R for large R.

If you're integrating from 0 to R, then for small R, you simply integrate the Taylor expansion term by term.

If R is large, you write the integral as an integral from zero to infinity minus the integral from R to infinity. The former integral is is number which you ca easily obtaoin using contour integration methods. The latter you compute by doing the substitution x^2 = u as suggested by Hootenanny, and then you do a relpeated partial integration, where you integrate the sin and differentiate the 1/sqrt(u). You iterate this, each time integrating the trigonometric term and differentiating the 1/u^(n+1/2). This then yields an asymptotic expansion with the last unevaluated integral as an error term.

Last edited:
Barkan said:
There is no systematic way to compute Fresnel integrals as I know.
There is no systematic way to compute sine as I know.
thus it would be quite a surprize if fresnel integrals were easier

1. What is the formula for the integral of sin(x^2)?

The integral of sin(x^2) does not have a standard formula. It is an example of an integral that cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. Instead, it can be approximated using numerical methods or represented using special functions such as the Fresnel integral.

2. How do I solve the integral of sin(x^2)?

As mentioned before, the integral of sin(x^2) cannot be solved using traditional methods. However, it can be evaluated using numerical integration techniques such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. Alternatively, it can be represented using special functions such as the Fresnel integral.

3. What is the graph of the integral of sin(x^2)?

The graph of the integral of sin(x^2) is a smooth, continuous curve that oscillates around the x-axis. It has a similar shape to the graph of the sine function, but with smaller amplitude and faster oscillations.

4. Why is the integral of sin(x^2) important?

The integral of sin(x^2) has various applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It appears in the solution of differential equations, the calculation of electric potentials, and the analysis of diffraction patterns, to name a few examples.

5. Is there a way to simplify the integral of sin(x^2)?

As mentioned before, the integral of sin(x^2) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However, it can be represented using special functions such as the Fresnel integral, which can simplify some calculations. Additionally, approximations can be used for specific values of x or to simplify the integration process.