Books for a Paper on "The Development of Newton's Mechanistic Universe

In summary, vanhees suggests that if one is looking for scientific sources on the development of Newton's mechanistic universe theory, they should look to biographies or Wikipedia articles.
xatu
Not sure if I posted this in the correct area, but hopefully it will be moved if I haven't done so.

I'm here asking you guys if you know any books relevant to writing a paper on the subject of "The Development of Newton's mechanistic Universe - Principia (1687)." It's for a history class, so it's not a mathematical dissection of Principia.

I was just assigned this today, but I'm guessing my prof wants a detailed description of pertinent events leading up to, and including, Newton's writing of his treatise on mechanics, Principia. I went to my university's library and snagged some books, but they're mostly biographies. I'm looking for something more focused on the development of his theories on mechanics.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Google is your friend here. There are Wiki articles on Newton and the Principia, both of which will contain references.

Figured I'd reach out here to see if anyone had recommendations.

I think the right place to look are good biographies (which are rare on science; with "good" I mean those that have a good coverage on the science)

J. Gleick, Isaac Newton

which hasn't really convinced me concerning the analysis of his science.

I'm sure there is a lot better about this, but I don't know it. I only know the story that Newton wasn't very proud about the topics treated in his Principia. He was much more into alchemy than physics, and Halley had to insist that Newton must write up his discoveries about the mathematical description of (celestial) mechanics, including the universal Law of Gravity.

Maybe the Wikipedia article on Newton is a starting point to find the relevant (scientific!) sources about your topic. Note that it can only be a starting point. Usually the Wikipedia is not considered citeable in scientific papers (although this is often unjustified, but sometimes indeed not ;-)).

Thanks for the insightful reply vanhees! Very helpful!

What is the significance of Newton's Mechanistic Universe in scientific history?

Newton's Mechanistic Universe, also known as Newtonian physics, is a fundamental theory in classical mechanics that describes the motion of objects in the universe. It is significant because it laid the foundation for modern physics and revolutionized our understanding of the physical world.

How did Newton's ideas challenge the prevailing scientific beliefs of his time?

Newton's ideas went against the widely accepted Aristotelian view that the universe was governed by supernatural forces and that objects naturally came to rest. His laws of motion and theory of gravity showed that the universe operates according to predictable, mathematical laws and that objects will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

What were the key developments in Newton's thinking that led to the development of his mechanistic universe?

Newton's thinking was heavily influenced by his predecessors such as Galileo, Descartes, and Kepler. He combined their ideas with his own observations and experiments to develop his three laws of motion, theory of gravity, and the mathematical framework of calculus. These developments allowed him to explain and predict the motion of objects in the universe.

How did Newton's mechanistic universe impact other scientific fields?

Newton's ideas had a profound impact on other scientific fields such as astronomy, mechanics, and engineering. His laws of motion and theory of gravity provided a framework for understanding and predicting the motion of celestial bodies, as well as the behavior of objects on Earth. It also paved the way for advancements in technology and engineering.

How is Newton's mechanistic universe still relevant in modern science?

Newton's ideas are still relevant in modern science, as they form the basis of classical mechanics, which is still used to explain and predict the motion of objects in our everyday lives. His laws of motion and theory of gravity are also incorporated into the theory of relativity and quantum mechanics, showing the lasting impact of his ideas on our understanding of the universe.