Frequency Hoping spread spectrum question

In summary, the article discusses how Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum (FHSS) uses an algorithm that is transmitted at the beginning of the conversation between the mobile terminal and the base station. If the algorithm is known, then the mobile terminal can steal data from the wireless link.
dervast
Hi to everyone.. I am just reading an artical abouts FHSS... as it describes the frequency hoping adds security to the system cause u must know the algorithm for the frequency changes:)
Unfortunately the article doesn't mention if this algorithm is transmitted at the start of the conversasion betwwen the Base station and the mobile terminal . If that is true then i should only attend the transmission from the beggining so i should have the algorithm for the frequency changes. Do u think i am correct or not?
Thx a lot

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure it varies from system to system. I imagine it could be similar to the 'enigma' used by Germany in WW2.

What do u mean it varies from system to system? I can find here only 2 different variations
a)the algorithm is known from before (a construction parameter) so if i want to steal data from a wireless link i wii always know in which frequencies i would find data
b)The algorithm is always transmitted at the start of the conversation .. so if i want to steal data i only have to start capturing frames at the beginning of conversation so i can capture the algorithm being used too

c) The algorithm is only updated when the mobile is connected to the base station.

c)so it must be transmitted back to the mobile station... Right? Do u know if that is the working solution?

Not transmitted. Physical link mobile/base.

For some things. Don't know if it's all cases.

There is no single implementation of FHSS. Some simple implementations use channel sequences that are fixed in both the transmitter and receiver. More advanced implementations use cryptographic protocols and a form of secret-sharing to configure the transmitter and receiver before data transmission begins.

- Warren

"Some simple implementations use channel sequences that are fixed in both the transmitter and receiver. " If they are fixed then the implementation provides no security.. Do u think that i am correct?

Not all FHSS implementations are intended to be secure -- some are just intended to be immune to interference.

- Warren

dervast said:
"Some simple implementations use channel sequences that are fixed in both the transmitter and receiver. " If they are fixed then the implementation provides no security.. Do u think that i am correct?
Very little security against a determined hacker, true. They are mainly used for tolerance of noise, not for security. You use encryption techniques as chroot said for the FH sequence, as well as encrypting the data, if you are serious about keeping you out. Er, sorry, I meant keeping out hackers.

By the way, Heddy Lamar and George Antheil invented this technology. Ms Lamar had been married to a weapons manufacturer who also designed control systems, and apparently she was a quick study. The mechanical system they designed to control frequency-hopping (intended to prevent jamming of guided torpedoes) was pretty much ignored by the Navy brass until Sylvania picked it up over a decade later, using electronics, not coded mechanical rolls.

1. What is frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS)?

Frequency hopping spread spectrum (FHSS) is a method of transmitting radio signals by rapidly switching between different frequencies within a designated frequency band. This technique is used to reduce interference and improve the security of wireless communication systems.

2. How does frequency hopping spread spectrum work?

Frequency hopping spread spectrum works by dividing the available frequency band into multiple sub-bands and switching between these sub-bands in a predetermined sequence. This rapid switching of frequencies makes it difficult for an attacker to intercept and decode the transmitted signal.

3. What are the advantages of using FHSS?

FHSS offers several advantages over traditional methods of wireless communication, including improved security, reduced interference, and increased resistance to jamming. It also allows multiple devices to share the same frequency band without causing interference with each other.

4. What are the applications of frequency hopping spread spectrum?

FHSS is commonly used in wireless communication systems such as Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and cordless phones. It is also used in military communications, satellite communication, and radio frequency identification (RFID) systems.

5. Are there any limitations of FHSS?

One limitation of FHSS is that it requires more complex hardware and software compared to other wireless communication techniques. It also requires a high level of synchronization between the transmitter and receiver, which can be challenging to achieve in some situations. Additionally, FHSS is susceptible to interference from other devices operating in the same frequency band.