Solving Difference Equations with Homogeneous and Inhomogeneous Parts?

In summary, to solve this difference equation with two unknowns n and p, you first need to find the general solution to the homogeneous equation using the roots of unity. Then, you can find a particular solution to the inhomogeneous equation by substituting a constant. Finally, the complete solution is the sum of the homogeneous and particular solutions.
FeDeX_LaTeX
Gold Member
Hello;

This is not a homework question, but something I was wondering about solving difference equations.

For example, how would I solve the following difference equation;

[tex]F_{n} = 2F_{n - 2p + 5} + 6p - 17; n, p \in \mathbb N[/tex]

Since it has homogeneous and inhomogeneous parts together (and two unknowns - n and p) I don't know what to do. Any help on how I would solve this would be appreciated, thanks.

(For where I got this formula from - I found this when thinking about a formula that would give me the minimum number of moves to complete a game of Tower of Hanoi with n discs and p poles.)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Since that is a linear equation, you can do this:
Find the general solution to the homogeneous equation [itex]F_n= F_{n- 2p+ 5}[/itex]. call that "[itex]F_h[/itex]".

Find a single function, [itex]F_p[/itex], that solves the entire equation.

The general solution to the entire equation is the sum, [itex]F_h+ F_p[/itex].

For every p, your equation is just an ordinary difference equation. So p is not really an unknown, rather a parameter.
Define [tex]k\equiv |2p-5|[/tex], find the k roots of unity

[tex]\lambda^k=1\qquad\rightarrow \lambda_m=e^{i2m\pi/k},\qquad m=0,1,\dots,k-1[/tex]

Then the solution is

[tex]F_n=\sum_{m=1}^{k-1}c_m\lambda_{m}^{n}+c+dn[/tex]

The coeeficients c and d are really just one coefficient, because you get a linear relationship between them when you substitute the solution in the equation. To get the other coefficients you need initial conditions.

Last edited:
Sorry, I left out the co-efficient 2. It should read;

[tex]F_{n} = 2F_{n - 2p + 5} + 6p - 17; n, p \in \mathbb N[/tex]

I'm not sure I completely understand what to do; is this working correct?

Let [tex]F_{n} = k^{n}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow k^{n} = 2k^{n - 2p + 5}[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow k^{2p - 5} = 2[/tex]

[tex]\Rightarrow k = \sqrt[2p - 5] {2}e^{\frac{2im\pi}{2p - 5}}[/tex] for [tex]p \geq 3[/tex].

Where do I go from here? I think I have to put the first root in like so;

[tex]F_{n} = A\left(\sqrt{2}e^{\frac{2i\pi}{2p - 5}}\right)^{n} + B(\cdots)^{n}[/tex]

But what do I put in the "B" bracket? Where does the 'm' come from, and what does it do/why is it there?

FeDeX_LaTeX said:
But what do I put in the "B" bracket? Where does the 'm' come from, and what does it do/why is it there?

You have to substitute

[tex]F_n=\lambda^n[/tex]

in the omogeneous equation, not in the complete one.
You get a polynomial in lambda, that will give various roots, and each of them is a solution. Since the equation is linear, you can multiply each solution by an arbitrary constant and then sum up everything, that's why the "m".
This way you get a solution of the homogeneous equation. To get a complete solution, you have to add another term, that in your particular example must be simply a constant.

Petr Mugver said:
You have to substitute

[tex]F_n=\lambda^n[/tex]

in the omogeneous equation, not in the complete one.

But isn't that what I've done by saying that [tex]F_{n} = k^{n}[/tex] for the homogeneous part?

You get a polynomial in lambda, that will give various roots, and each of them is a solution.

Do you mean this? [tex]\sqrt[2p - 5] {2}e^{\frac{2im\pi}{2p - 5}}[/tex] I think it gives the roots for k, but I'm not entirely sure what to do from there except to just assume that whole thing is one root for k.

Since the equation is linear, you can multiply each solution by an arbitrary constant and then sum up everything, that's why the "m".

Okay, that makes sense. I understand this.

This way you get a solution of the homogeneous equation. To get a complete solution, you have to add another term, that in your particular example must be simply a constant.

Is the term that I have to add (17 - 6p)?

Because if we say that the homogeneous part is t, then t = 2t + 6p - 17, so t = 17 - 6p? Or not?

Okay let' suppose p=4. Then your equation becomes

[tex]F_n-2F_{n-3}=1[/tex]

Let's put

[tex]F_n=\lambda^n[/tex]

Substituting in the homogeneous equation tou get

[tex]\lambda^3=2[/tex]

and you have 3 roots:

[tex]\lambda_1=2^{1/3}\qquad \lambda_2=2^{1/3}e^{2\pi i/3}\qquad \lambda_3=2^{1/3}e^{-2\pi i/3}[/tex]

So the solution of the homogeneous eq is

[tex]F^{Omog}_n=c_1\lambda_1^n+c_2\lambda_2^n+c_3\lambda_3^n[/tex]

Now we need a particular solution of the inhomogeneous equation. Let's try

[tex]F^{Part}_n=constant[/tex]

Substituting, we find constant=-1, so finally

[tex]F_n=c_1\lambda_1^n+c_2\lambda_2^n+c_3\lambda_3^n-1[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks. I think I know how to solve it now.

1. What is a difference equation?

A difference equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a sequence of numbers. It is used to model systems that change over time, such as population growth or economic trends.

2. What is the difference between homogeneous and inhomogeneous parts in a difference equation?

A homogeneous difference equation is one in which the right-hand side of the equation is equal to zero. An inhomogeneous difference equation is one in which the right-hand side is not equal to zero and includes some external input or forcing function.

3. How do you solve a difference equation with homogeneous parts?

To solve a difference equation with homogeneous parts, you first need to find the roots of the characteristic equation. Then, you can use these roots to find the general solution of the difference equation, which will involve a combination of exponential functions.

4. How do you solve a difference equation with inhomogeneous parts?

To solve a difference equation with inhomogeneous parts, you first need to find the general solution of the corresponding homogeneous equation. Then, you can use the method of undetermined coefficients or variation of parameters to find a particular solution that satisfies the inhomogeneous part of the equation.

5. What are some real-life applications of solving difference equations with homogeneous and inhomogeneous parts?

Difference equations are commonly used to model systems in various fields such as economics, biology, and engineering. For example, they can be used to predict population growth, analyze stock market trends, or study the spread of diseases. By solving these equations, we can gain insights into the behavior and dynamics of these systems and make predictions for the future.