Show that ODE is homogeneous, but I don't think it is

In summary: In fact, the equation is not homogeneous if and only if the degree of homogeneity of M and N is zero.In summary, the equation given is not homogeneous.
overpen57mm
Homework Statement
Show the following differential equation is homogeneous and solve it by using an appropriate substitution

dy/dx = y/(x(1-ln(x)+ln(y))
Relevant Equations
M(x,y)dx + N(x,y)dy = 0,
af(x,y) = f(ax, ay)
Ignoring the second part of the question for now, since I think it will be more clear once I understand how this equation is homogeneous.

According to my textbook and online resources a first-order ODE is homogeneous when it can be written like so:

$$M(x,y) dx + N(x,y) dy = 0$$

and ##M(x,y)## and ##N(x,y)## are both homogeneous to the same degree.

I can write this equation in that form

$$(x(1-\ln(xy)) dy - y dx = 0$$

$$M(x,y) = x(1-\ln(xy)), N(x,y) = -y$$

certainly ##N(x,y)## is homogeneous with degree 1, ##aN(x,y) = -ay = N(ax, ay)##

But I can't get ##M(x,y)## to also be homogeneous with degree 1, or even homogeneous at all

$$aM(x,y) = ax(1-ln(xy))$$

$$M(ax, ay) = ax(1-ln(a^2xy)) = ax - 2axln(a)ln(xy)$$

As you can see, it's simply a different equation altogether, the ##2ln(a)## throws the whole thing off and there's no way it's homogeneous with degree 1.

So how do I get this equation to be homogeneous, and what kind of substitution am I looking for to solve this?

Physics news on Phys.org
overpen57mm said:
I can write this equation in that form ##(x(1-\ln(xy)) dy - y dx = 0##
There's a mistake above. ##1 - \ln(x) + \ln(y) = 1 - \ln(x/y)##

Also, the term "homogenous differential equation" has two different meanings, due to historical circumstances.
From the textbook I have, "A First Course in Differential Equations," by Frank G. Hagin, if the DE can be written in the form ##\frac{dy}{dx} = f\left(\frac y x\right)##, it is said to be homogeneous.

Rearranging the terms of your equation, I get ##\frac{dy}{dx} = \frac y x \frac 1 {1 + \ln(y/x)}##. The right side certainly is a function of y/x.

Likes overpen57mm
Following Mark's post. We can also see if the given DE. Mdx+Ndy= 0 is homogeneous by seeing if M and N have the same degree of homogeneity. But the converse is not necessarily true.

What does it mean for an ODE to be homogeneous?

An ODE (ordinary differential equation) is said to be homogeneous if all of its terms are of the same degree. This means that the variables in each term have the same exponent. For example, the equation y'' + 2xy' - 3x^2y = 0 is homogeneous because all terms have a degree of 2.

How can I tell if an ODE is homogeneous?

To determine if an ODE is homogeneous, you can rewrite the equation in standard form and check the degrees of each term. If all terms have the same degree, then the ODE is homogeneous. You can also use the method of substitution, where you replace the variables with u = y/x and see if the resulting equation is separable.

What if I don't think an ODE is homogeneous?

If you do not believe that an ODE is homogeneous, you can try rewriting it in standard form and checking the degrees of each term. If the degrees are not all the same, then the ODE is not homogeneous. You can also use the method of substitution to see if the resulting equation is separable.

Why is it important to know if an ODE is homogeneous?

Knowing if an ODE is homogeneous can help you determine the most appropriate method for solving it. Homogeneous ODEs have a special property that allows them to be solved using the method of substitution, making the solution process simpler and more efficient.

Can an ODE be both homogeneous and non-homogeneous?

No, an ODE cannot be both homogeneous and non-homogeneous. By definition, an ODE is either homogeneous or non-homogeneous. If an ODE has terms of different degrees, it is non-homogeneous. If all terms have the same degree, it is homogeneous.